List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1309482

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHADWICK ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SalfordMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 16-Jul-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 211934

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ECCLES

1481/4/1 CHADWICK ROAD 16-JUL-1987 (North side) CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

II* Church. 1877-9, interior completed 1883. By Herbert Edward Tijou, tower completed to a modified design 1889 by JS Crowther after Tijou's death. Rock-faced stone with slate roof. Nave and apse under continuous roof, aisles, south porch and south-east tower. Gothic Revival. 7-bay nave and aisles with weathered plinth and weathered buttresses. 2-light aisle and clerestory windows with Geometrical tracery and hoodmoulds. Gabled porch in bay 2. Two 2-light west windows and a small rose window. Polygonal apse with 2-light windows in each face. Imposing 4-stage tower with set-back buttresses which are weathered and gableted and turn into octagonal piers which rise as crocketed pinnacles above the pierced castellated parapet. It also has a 4-light window, a lancet in the second stage, a rose window in the third, and trefoil friezes above and below the 2-light belfry openings. INTERIOR: 7-bay nave arcade with moulded arches on circular stone columns with well carved foliated capitals. Arch-braced roof trusses to the lofty nave. In the chancel are richly carved and elaborate reredos, oak panelling, communion rail, choir stalls and organ loft of 1898-1902. Organ of 1883 rebuilt and enlarged mid C20. Low chancel wall with attached pulpit 1879. Pews in aisles from Manchester Cathedral and installed 1893, pews in centre of nave 1918. Font of 1879, moved 1995. Minton floor tiles. Stained glass includes east windows of 1886 by Kempe, west window of 1916 and probably 4 other windows by Shrigley and Hunt of Preston. 4 other windows signed by Alfred O. Hemming. A north aisle window both depicts and commemorates AH Clayton who died at Loos in 1915. An imposing building both inside and out with majestic tower. Tijou was also responsible 1874-6 for the chapel at Loreto College, Manchester (qv). Matthew Hyde, pers.comm. Jane Lowe, Church History and Guide and pers.comm.



Listing NGR: SJ7740098764

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 77400 98764

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 05:08:53.