List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BROWNHILL BRIDGE MILL

List entry Number: 1309426

Location

BROWNHILL BRIDGE MILL, DOBCROSS NEW ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OldhamMetropolitan AuthoritySaddleworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 03-Jul-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 212109

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SADDLEWORTH DOBCROSS NEW SD 9906 ROAD (north side) 9/96 Brownhill Bridge - Mill - II Water-powered woollen mill, now workshop and house. 1772. Later additions and alterations. Hammer-dressed watershot stone with slate and graduated stone slate roof. Total of 3 storeys and 4 bays. The early mill forms the right-hand bay and has a segmental-headed tail-race opening on the ground floor with 3-light window to right. 12-light first floor window with door inserted to left and 13-light second floor window. All windows have recessed flat-faced mullion windows with king mullions. The right gable and rear have been considerably rebuilt, the rectangular windows having stone lintels and sills. The mill was extended to left probably in late C18 and again at the rear in C20. Each bay on the ground and first floors has 2, 3 and 4-light recessed flat- faced stone mullion windows; large vented second floor openings were inserted in the C20 when it was used as a tannery. King-post roof trusses and remains of winch mechanism. The mill was first used for teazing and then scribbling. It continued to be used in the processing of wool until the mid C20 and was powered by the water-wheel until the 1920's. B. Barnes, Saddleworth Heritage, 1975.

Listing NGR: SD9947906401

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Barnes, B - Title: Saddleworth Heritage - Date: 1975

National Grid Reference: SD 99479 06401

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Sep-2014 at 12:58:09.