List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN

List entry Number: 1309267

Location

CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN, AUDENSAW ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
TamesideMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 31-May-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 212692

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

AUDENSHAW AUDENSHAW ROAD SJ 99 NW (south side)

4/39 Church of 31/05/66 St. Stephen

G.V. II

Church. 1845-6. By E. H. Shellard for the Church Commissioners but with a chancel added in 1900. Hammer- dressed stone with slate roof. 3-sided gallery plan with central west tower, chancel and vestry. Gothic revival. 6- bay aisles (no clerestory) with weathered plinth, continuous sill band and coped parapet above eaves band. Each bay has a weathered gableted buttress and a paired lancet window with colonnettes and hoodmoulds. Doors below gables in western- most bays. Corner pinnacles. 5-stage tower with shallow angled buttresses with nook-shafts, west door, lancet openings, clock-faces in front of a blind arcade, gargoyles and a broach spire with lucarnes. Later chancel uses similar architectural vocabulary with a 3-lancet east window. Interior: Double-chamfered nave arcade with heavy shaft- rings to quatrefoil columns which support the arcaded gallery. Arch-braced roof trusses on moulded corbels. C20 partition below rear gallery. Timber pulpit and stalls. Stone font. Stained glass.

Listing NGR: SJ9244397589

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 92443 97589

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2014 at 10:52:35.