List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANNE

List entry Number: 1309251

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANNE, SAINT ANNES ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
TamesideMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 20-Jul-1977

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 212705

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DENTON SAINT ANNE'S ROAD SJ93379558 (East Side)

1478/4/51 Church of St Anne 20.7.77

G.V. 1

Church. 1880-2. J.M. and H. Taylor. Brick with clay tile roof. Cruciform plan with a crossing tower and an undercroft beneath chancel and transepts. Free Gothic style with vernacular details. 3-bay nave (without aisles) has weathered buttresses, 2, 3 or 4-light mullion and transom windows with cusped heads, and overhanging eaves. A polygonal baptistry projects at the west and a gabled porch on south. The transepts have a 5-light window (north) and a circular window with mullions and tracery (south). 5-light west window to 3-bay chancel which is flanked by a vestry with a hipped roof and an organ chamber with an outshut roof. The undercroft with its mullion windows adds to the height and splendour of the building. Large crossing tower, roofed in two stages has a stepped-in timber-framed bell stage and a square swept spire with gabled dormer openings. Bold diagonal buttresses and a conically roofed octagonal stair turret contribute to the romantic appearance. INTERIOR: faced in polychromatic brick to great effect. Sturdy roof structure employs arch-braced roof trusses springing from carved stone corbels. Double-chamfered brick crossing arches and an octopartite vault. The arches are supported at the east by short freestanding polished granite columns creating squinches. The whole interior (including undercroft) is rich in craftsmanship in glass, iron, stone and ceramics. Glass is by Heaton Butler and Bayne; mosaic by Salviati and Co. of Venice. One of the Taylors' most imaginative works showing individuality and opulence in most aspects of design and craftsmanship. E. Joseph Sidebotham, local philosopher and industrialist, was the patron.

Listing NGR: SJ9337895584

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 93378 95584

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Sep-2014 at 10:29:37.