List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

List entry Number: 1309143

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, FLETTON AVENUE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
City of PeterboroughUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 14-Nov-1974

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 50225

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5141 EX-OLD FLETTON UD FLETTON AVENUE Fletton Church of St Margaret TL 1997 SE 51/239 14.11.74 GV 2. Mainly of circa 1150 and circa 1300. Mid C12 nave with circa 1300 clerestorey with C17 square-headed 2-light clerestorey windows. Mid C12 north aisle widened in 1901 in rock-faced ashlar with Perpendicular style window but west window late C13. Mid C12 north chapel. Circa 1300 south aisle with C17 square-headed 3-light windows the east and west windows are late C13 with 3 lancet lights in one arch. Double-chamfered south doorway. Mid C12 chancel has corbel-table, one blocked south window and corner buttresses with reset early C9 carved stones probably originally part of a frieze from Peterborough Abbey. Decorated chancel, south windows with reticulated tracery and east window restored in 1888 also has reticulated tracery. Victorian south porch in rock-faced masonry. Late C13 west tower with angle buttresses with set-offs, large bell openings with Y-tracery, cornice with ball flowers and stone broach spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes. Interior: north arcade of circa 1160 originally 4 bays, but one pier removed and wide double-chamfered arch inserted, round piers with scalloped capitals and round slightly chamfered arches. Early C14 south arcade with wide double chamfered 4-centred arches, octagonal piers and moulded capitals. C12 responds of chancel arch are probably reset in circa 1300 when chancel arch wall built. Circa 1160 two bay arcade from chancel to north chapel, also round arched with circular pier with scalloped capital. Victorian furnishings and roofs. Front of circa 1661-2, octagonal with alternating fluted and panelled sides. Two carved panels on north wall of chancel of saints probably C12 or earlier. RCHM (1) page 69.

Listing NGR: TL1975097086

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Royal Commission on Historical Monuments - Title: Peterborough New Town: a survey of antiquities... - Date: 1969 - Page References: 69 - Type: DESC TEXT

National Grid Reference: TL 19750 97086

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2014 at 06:48:00.