List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST. ANDREW

List entry Number: 1308771

Location

CHURCH OF ST. ANDREW, CORBY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityIrnham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 30-Oct-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 194153

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

IRNHAM CORBY ROAD TF 0226-0326 (south side)

13/179 Church of 30.10.68 St. Andrew

G.V. I

Parish church. C12, early C13, late C13, C14, early C16, C17, c.1858 restoration. Coursed limestone rubble, ashlar, lead roofs. Western tower, nave with clerestory, north aisle, porch and chapel, chancel. The 3 stage coursed limestone rubble C12 tower has 2 offsets, C16 embattled parapet with gargoyles and angle pinnacles. In the south wall is a blocked 2 light early C13 belfry opening, also visible on the other sides. Above are 2 light C14 louvred belfry openings with cusped ogee heads, quatrefoils and moulded hoods. Recut C12 west door with chamfered hood and imposts, above a single rectangular light. The gabled north porch has C19 moulded outer arch. Stone side benches. The inner doorway is mid C13 with deeply moulded head, angle shafts, annular capitals and moulded hoods with tail stops. Nave, chancel, chapel and aisles have C16 embattled parapets. In the north aisle are 2 three light C13 windows with fine Geometric quatrefoils to the upper parts. The early C16 ashlar clerestory has 3 paired trefoil headed lights with panel tracery and triangular heads and hoods. The extremely fine early C16 north Thimelby chantry chapel has stepped buttresses and moulded plinth, with 4 deeply set 3 fight windows with cusped heads, concave moulded 4 .centred arched surrounds. At the west end an octagonal stair turret. In the east end a further 3 light window with panel traceried top. To the chancel a recut C13 3 light gemoetric traceried window. In the south wall of the chancel are 2 two light late C13 windows with quatrefoils. An ogee headed door with square hood and a 2 light C17 window. The south nave wall retains the 3 bay arcade to the vanished aisle. It is of early C13 character with single chamfered arches and annular capitals. Set in the blocking are an early C13 door with angle shafts and dogtoothing plus 2 three light late C13 windows with intersecting tracery. Interior. Late C13 3 bay north arcade with octagonal piers and responds, double chamfered arches. Late C12 tower arch with circular responds, waterleaf and stiff leaf capitals, moulded imposts and 2 stepped and chamfered orders, chamfered hood. In the south wall the hood mould of the early C13 3 bay arcade can be seen. In the north aisle a C16 pointed doorway leads to an upper door to a vanished rood loft. Early C13 chancel arch with circular responds, annular capitals, double chamfered arch. In the chancel north wall a 3 bay early C13 arcade with round piers, annular capitals and double chamfered arches. Human head stops to the hood. In the sanctuary a C14 ogee headed aumbry with crockets and finial on the north side and to the south an early C13 triple sedilia with round shafts, foliate capitals and moulded heads. In the north chapel an early C14 Easter sepulchre of sideboard form, comprising 3 niches with elaborately cusped and floriated nodding ogee canopies with the upper part richly decorated with gablettes, pinnacles, pierced foliage and further canopies. In the sides are pierced reticulated panels, and it has a brattished top. The sepulchre is flanked by blank niches. The Easter Sepulchre was probably moved to its current position in 1858. Roofs are all C16 with tie beams supported on carved corbels. East window stained glass 1859, memorial to Cap. W. H. Woodhouse. Fittings. Full set of remade C16 oak bench pews with curved rectangular ends with tracery patterns. The early C13 tub font has bowl supported on round shaft with 4 attached colonettes. Finely carved oak openwork font cover with crockets and finials. All other fittings are C19. At the west end of the nave fine oval hatchment and 1 Royal Coat of Arms dated 1726. Monuments. In the south wall of the chancel a fine tomb recess of late C13 date with trilobed gable and blank trefoils. In the north chapel a handsome brass to Sir Andrew Luttrell, d.1390. Depicting deceased life-sized beneath a cusped ogee canopy, wearing plate armour with feet on a lion and inscription at the base. In the chancel a small mid C15 figure of a knight in full armour, inscription missing, possibly to Sir Geoffrey Hilton. In the north chapel are 3 C18 wall monuments. White marble plaque to Sir John Thimelby of Irnham Hall, d.1712 with fluted Doric pilasters, triglyph frieze and pediments supporting an urn. White marble oval plaque to William Percy, d.1719, with skull and cross bones to head of inscription. Marble monument to Benedict Conquest d.1743 of Irnham Hall. A sarcophagus with portrait roundel, lamps on a square base with moulded cornice and egg and dart frieze. On the south wall 2 early C19 plaques in white and grey marble and on the front 4 black marble slabs to C18 members of Thimelby and Conquest families.

Listing NGR: TF0235026676

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 02347 26675

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2014 at 12:17:44.