List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1308415

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHURCH END ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireBostonDistrict AuthorityFreiston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 191995

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 34 SE FREISTON CHURCH END ROAD (east side)

12/79 Church of St. James 26.1.67 G.V. I

Former Benedictine Priory, now Parish Church. Founded from Croyland in 1114, late C12, C13, C14, C15, C16, restoration in 1871 by James Fowler in Norman style. Limestone ashiar, coursed limestone rubble, red brick. Western tower, clerestoried nave, aisles, north porch. Ashlar C15 tower with stepped corner buttresses, bell moulded plinth, battlemented parapet. 3 light belfry openings having hollow chamfered surround. West door continuously moulded above a large 5 light window transomed with panel tracery. Above a canopied niche with statue. On the north side a blank niche. C16 brick north aisle, with moulded ashlar coping and dressings. Stepped buttresses between the 6 three light windows to the north side, and single similar windows to the west end. Alternating panel tracied C15 windows with C16 untransomed windows, and small triangular headed doorway. Gabled north porch in coursed rubble, ashlar and brick, with reset C13 outer doorway having annular reveals and capitals. C14 inner doorway with ogee head, set in taller C12 surround. Retains C14 door with panel traceried woodwork. Tail late C14 clerestory of 8 three light windows, cusped, reticulated tracery. Above a C12 looped corbel table obviously reset, with interposed gargoyles and brick parapet. In the east wall, the clustered shafts of the C12 crossing are visible with scalloped capitals, C19 east window of 5 lights, panel tracery. The south clerestory matches the north. The south aisle is an 1871 rebuilding in ashiar with a pointed window to the east end, a round headed doorway and 5 round headed windows and 3 lancets on the south side. The west window is of 2 lights with curvilinear tracery. Interior. Undivided nave and chancel of 6 Norman bays to the east and 3 early C13 bays to the west. Massive round piers, cruciform scalloped capitals, arches have stops and rolls, with variations. The easternmost arch on the south side has later zigzag. On the hood moulds arebeast head stops. The western arches also have circular pillars, triple responds with stiff leaf, and triple chamfered pointed heads. Tall C15 tower arch, double chamfered with octagonal capitals. Late C12 west crossing arch having roll mouldings and zigzag which is continued on the hood. C15 nave roof with moulded principals supported on carved corbels, retaining demi figures and original bosses. North aisle roof of similar date and pattern. South aisle has C19 roof. The third pier from the east on the north side was remade square to afford access to rood loft. C15 aisle screens, having boldly cusped panel traceried bays. On the north side of the chancel a pillar piscina with scalloped base, circular shaft and octagonal capital. In the south aisle a reset C13 triple shaft base, now a shelf. In the vestry reset C15 panels to wall. At the east end of the south aisle are C12 shafts to the vanished transept. Fittings. Chest dated 1590, iron bound with 3 locks. Fine C15 octagonal font on 3 steps with 2 kneeling stones and splayed base, blank trefoil panels to the sides and stem, with quatrefoils over. Splendid contemporary pierced and pinnacled wooden cover having radiating traceried windows, supporting central lantern over an open vault. Much crocketing.

Listing NGR: TF3773043773

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 37729 43770

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 09:04:01.