List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1308396

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH WALK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireEast LindseyDistrict AuthorityHolton Le Clay

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 09-Sep-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 195331

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TA 20 SE HOLTON LE CLAY CHURCH WALK

1/24 Church of St. Peter 9.9.67 G.V. II*

Parish church. C11, C13, C14, C16, 1850 rebuilding. Coursed and squared ironstone and limestone rubble, brown and red brick, plain grey concrete tiled roofs. Western tower, nave, chancel. The square unbuttressed tower has extended footings, single chamfered offset to belfry, embattled parapet and gargoyles. In the south side is a small rectangular light and the belfry stage has paired C14 2 light ogee headed cusped openings. In the west wall is a blocked door with a round head and in the blocking a C13 lancet. Rectangular light to middle stage. The nave is in part built of massive square stones and in the north wall is a blocked C16 4 centred arched doorway and a C14 3 light window with ogee heads to the lights and chamfered square surround. The upper part of chancel and east wall of nave were replaced in red brick c.1850. The C19 east window has 3 lights. On thesouth side the chamfered reveal only survives of a window in the chancel. In the nave south wall is a C19 rectangular window with hood and a C14 window matching that to the north. The south doorway is single chamfered with moulded hood, recut in C19. The pitch of an earlier nave roof is visible in the east wall of the tower. Interior. The C11 tower arch is tall and narrow with rounded head, plain imposts. In the south reveal is a reused piece of C10 sculpture having 2 panels of interlace. The chancel arch is C19, double chamfered with single imposts. In the east wall of the nave is a reset piscina with reset C13 cusped head. All fittings are Cl9 and C20 apart from the C12 tub font with cable moulding round the rim and a panel of chevrons running into low relief blank intersecting arcading.

Listing NGR: TA2865102780

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TA 28651 02780

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2014 at 11:54:22.