List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MANNINGS

List entry Number: 1308307

Location

MANNINGS, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityStocklinch

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1958

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Oct-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 264005

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STOCKLINCH CP MAIN STREET (East side) ST3817

6/103 Mannings (formerly listed as Mannings Farm House) 4.2.58

GV II*

Detached house. C15 and later. Ham stone roughly cut and squared, but with cob to rear wall and timber framed north gable; thatched roof with plain gables; brick chimney stacks with traditional baffles. Single storey with attic, 4 bays. Casement windows, mostly 3-light horizontal bar pattern, with plain casement bay 1 and 4-light window to bay 3, with timber lintols; above, windows to each bay set in swept thatched dormers: between bays 2/3 a boarded door in very heavy timber frame and timber garage doors to lower bay 4, which may be a C19 extension, and was extensively repaired in mid C20. North gable has upper portion of post and truss frame set behind the main stone base wall, having collar and tie truss with sub kingpost and vertical struts, panels rendered. South gable has 4-light casement and a small leaded single-light casement to attic, possibly a re-use: to rear a lean-to along southern half of wall, which may be C17. Internally, much early structure remains: the south post and truss frame survives on the inner wall face with carved braces between post and tie beam; there is one other post and truss frame, and a jointed cruck; fine smoke hood of generous dimensions inside smoke bay; one framed partition with wattle and daub, and traces of others; chamfered beams with kneeled stops; brick lined bread oven. This house was almost certainly a demense farm, and was probably built soon after 1475, when Ilchester Corporation sold Stocklinch Magdalene Manor to the Ilchester Almshouse Trust: it is thought to be the most complete of seven surviving medieval houses in this village. (Austin aid Hall, Sir R de Z, The Medieval Houses of Stocklinch, SANHS Proceedings, Vol 116 pp 86-100, 1972).

Listing NGR: ST3825817232

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society - Date: 1972 - Journal Title: Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society - Volume: 116 - Page References: 86-100

National Grid Reference: ST 38259 17236

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Jul-2014 at 07:15:02.