List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHAPEL AT ST EDMUND'S COLLEGE (RC) (AT NORTH END OF MAIN BUILDING)

List entry Number: 1308305

Location

CHAPEL AT ST EDMUND'S COLLEGE (RC) (AT NORTH END OF MAIN BUILDING), CAMBRIDGE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityStandon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Nov-1983

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 161027

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

Old Hall Green TL 32 SE STANDON CAMBRIDGE ROAD (west side)

1/7 Chapel at St Edmund's College (RC) ) 24.1.67 (at N end of Main Building) (Formerly listed under St Edmund'e R.C. College, Old Hall Green)

GV II*

School chapel. 1845-1853 by Augustus Welby Pugin for Bp Thomas Griffiths (1791-1847), Scholfield Chantry 1862 by Edward Welby Pugin, Lady Chapel 1904, Shrine Chapel 1905, Galilee 1922 by F A Walters. Grey brick with stone dressings and steep slate roofs. Originally T- plan with antechapel and very tall buttressed chapel, but without projected N tower and spire. Scholfield chapel in buff brick and stone with hipped scalloped slate roof, openwork parapet and finials at S, linked to antechapel, designed like a C13 shrine casket. Lady Chapel parallel on N in matching materials with 2- bay ribbed vault and crocketed aedicule as reredos. Shrine chapel in base of intended tower. Twin-nave Galilee extending W from antechapel timber-vaulted, ashlar walled, with 3-light wide C15 style windows. The Pugin chapel has 5 bays of high geometrical 3-light windows between gabled buttresses with offsets. Central buttress on E has a statue of St Edmund in a niche. 7-light E window. Stained glass by Pugin and Hardman. That in 1st and 3rd bays replaced after landmine in 2nd World War. Arched-braced open timber roof, and 2-bay sanctuary with coffered timber pointed barrel vault on stone corbels. Red, blue and yellow tiled floor and furnishings by Pugin. Stone reredos with statues in niches and a central canopy with a Crucifixion in relief above the pyx. Chapel entered through elaborate Early English 7-bay and 2-bay deep rood screen or pulpitum with cusped tracery. Antechapel has Decorated columns with foliate capitals and a wheel window on the S. (Pevsner (1977) 267).

Listing NGR: TL3718022128

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire - Date: 1977 - Page References: 267

National Grid Reference: TL 37180 22128

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Jul-2014 at 01:20:39.