List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF SAINT ROCH

List entry Number: 1307971

Location

CHURCH OF SAINT ROCH

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityClosworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Apr-1961

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Aug-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 263600

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST51SW CLOSWORTH CP PENDOMER

4/42 Church of Saint Roch (formerly listed as Church) 19.4.61

- II*

Church. C14 with C15 modifications. Local stone rubble roughly coursed, Ham stone dressings; plain clay tiles between coped gables with ornamental ridge tiles, cross finial to East gable. Single cell with West tower and small projecting chapel on North side. Plinth, except to part of North side, eaves course; East window pointed late C15 traceried in deep recess, flanked by angled corner buttresses with offsets; South side of 3-bays, bays 1 and 2 have 2-light C14 windows without labels, with a trefoil arched blocked opening between, bay 3 has recessed late C15 traceried window; North side has two 2-light C14 windows without labels with wide half-height buttress between; North chapel simple in character with C15 window of 3-lights. The West tower simple in two stages; plain pointed arched doorway to tower and church on South side, lancet with hoods to North and West sides first stage, and similar windows above on North, West and South sides; simple parapet with corner gargoyles. Internally a boarded and ribbed barrel vault ceiling, with two old crossbeams; trefoil arched piscina and stoup in South wall; very fine monument in cinquefoil recess in North wall, very like North Chapel of 1328 in St Mary, Limington, (qv) with elaborate carved overmantle with supporting figures in corners, the recumbent effigy of a cross-legged knight in unusually good condition, thought to be of Sir John de Domer. (Wickham, Churches of Somerset, 1952).

Listing NGR: ST5213410394

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Wickham, , Churches of Somerset, (1952)

National Grid Reference: ST 52134 10394

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2014 at 10:39:35.