List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1307719

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityLlanyblodwel

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 08-Oct-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 256618

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LLANYBLODWEL C.P. LLANYBLODWEL SJ 22 SW

5/70 Church of St. Michael - 8.10.59 I GV

Parish church. Largely rebuilt by Revd.John Parker in 1847-53 with steeple of 1855-6, incorporating substantial parts of medieval church, dating princip- ally from C12 and C15. Uncoursed limestone rubble with rough-hewn angle quoins to C15 east end; roughly coursed and dressed limestone and gritstone rubble with ashlar dressings to nave and chancel (south side); largely rendered on north side; limestone rubble, sandstone ashlar and yellow brick to steeple. Slate roofs with coped verges (stepped at west end) on carved stone kneelers; floriated crosses to gables. Nave and chancel in one; north aisle; north and south porches; detached steeple linked to main body of church by vestibule (dated 1855 and 1856). C19 work in idiosyncratic Gothic style. Steeple. Octagonal with swelling outline to second and third stages; lancets to all faces with hoodmoulds and floriated label-stops stone spire with steep- pitched lucarnes and floriated cross to top. Nave. Three 2-light Decorated- style windows on south have mouchettes to heads, hoodmoulds and floriated label-stops, space beneath each label-stop inscribed with religious symbols or monograms except for east window which has inscription "A.D. 1847" beneath. Rubble voussoirs above hoodmoulds. Two gabled eaves dormers with 2-light Decorated-style tracery and ball-flower decoration to chamfered corners. 3 stepped buttresses with yellow brick facing. Gabled porch in west bay has inscription "A.D. 1849" beneath head-stops of pointed outer arch with intertwining leaf decoration to capitals. Recessed shouldered arch with pierced trefoils to spandrels. Lean-to to west with narrow rectangular chamfered opening to front. Painted cast-iron gates to porch have lierne vaulting pattern. Wooden vaulted roof, supported on ringed stone shafts, has carved painted bosses, ribs and flying ribs. Bench with cusped edge on east side; stone staircase to west. Remains of C14 grave slab with Lom- bardic script to top right corner and carving of hare to bottom left fixed to east wall. Tall round-headed C12 south doorway evidently repositioned by Parker has plank door with incised carving to decorated strap hinges, lower with fleur-de-lys pointing. Inscription on door "RBED / WA RD / EX (?) S / 1713." Exterior west wall of porch has reused inverted datestone inscribed "R (?) K M I (?)T (?)B/ WARDENS / 1717." West wall of nave has 2 lancets with curious cusping and rose window above. East wall has 3- light C15 window with trefoil heads and panel tracery. Date "1858" in raised lettering on rainwater head at junction with north aisle. This has similar east window to east wall of nave except with cinquefoil heads. 3 gabled eaves dormers on north side have rose windows and floriated finials, that to right with C20 centre-hung casement inserted into lancet. Lean- to porch below centre dormer has pointed cusped doorway on east side with hoodmould and floriated label-stops, spaces beneath inscribed "IP / 1851". Doorway beneath in north wall has cambered arch and nail-studded plank door with pointed strap hinges; superscription "EM / IR / 1753". Two-light C15 window with cambered head to east of porch. C19 two-light Perpendicular- style window below right dormer. Ridge stack to right of centre with twin shafts and dentilled capping. West wall has 2 cusped lancets and one above to centre with blind pointed arch. Thin gabled turret-like buttress to north-west corner. Vestibule linking steeple to church has inscription "FROM LIGHTNING AND TEMPEST / FROM EARTHQUAKE AND FIRE / GOOD LORD DELIVER US" over cambered arch. Interior. Largely embellished and reworked by Parker but retains early C15 three-bay north arcade with short octagonal columns and double-chamfered pointed arches. C19 arch-braced roof to nave in 7 bays with carved pendant bosses and gilded bosses at intersection of panels; hammerbeams over rood screen. Similar but slightly less elaborate roof in 4 bays to north aisle. Panelled Gothic screen at west end supported on 4 clustered columns with foliage carving to capitals at east end and similar columns alternating with demi-columns (some with stiff-leaf foliage to capitals) at west-end. Pointed doorway in north wall leads to upper room (former school-room), latterly used as vestry and library. Restored C15 rood screen has vine-trail decoration and carvings of animals (including hare) to cornice. 9 lights below (including centre opening) have variety of Gothic tracery patterns; brattishing above cornice largely original but crocketed finials added by Parker. Screen continues across north aisle: also 9 one-bay divisions with Gothic tracery patterns, crenellated cornice and attached carving. Organ gallery in north aisle with blind Gothic tracery pattern supported on 2 cast-iron columns (painted to resemble wood), erected in 1835. Contemporary staircase to gallery has turned balusters. A notable feature of the church is the painted mural decoration, commissioned by Parker and restored in 1960: foliage decoration to columns, responds, window splays and heads. Texts to walls and to arches of north arcade. Octagonal font with painted carved decoration said to be c.1660 but may be a medieval font recut; rests on possibly C12 scalloped base. Reredos and altar with blind Gothic tracery patterns by Parker; communion rails also by him but incorporating medieval tracery patterns, probably taken from screen. Repositioned mid- C19 benches in nave and north aisle. Late C18 or C19 'porter's' chair in sanctuary donated to church in 1971. Stained glass: east window of north aisle in memory of Lt. John Donne (died 1851). East window commemorates Revd. James Donne (died 1844) and his second wife, Alice (died 1841). Chancel south window to Elias Owen (vicar, 1892-8). Monuments. Massive wall memorial to Sir John Bridgeman (died 1747), erected 1752 by his daughter, Judeth; eulogistic inscription with large volutes to left and right, a Rococo cartouche below and a decorated urn flanked by volutes at the top: north aisle, north side, by J.M. Rysbrack. Wall memorial to Sir John's wife, Ursula (died 1719) with seated putto to top: north aisle, east wall, by Thomas White of Worcester. Roger Mathews (died 1673), similar monument to Lady Ursula Bridgeman's, erected c.1736: sanctuary, north of east window, also by White. To Rees Tanat, (died 1661) small wall memorial with grotesque head to bottom: south of east window. Cartouches flanking east arch of north arcade, left to John Bridgeman (died 1796), right to George Bridgeman (died 1717). South wall of chancel has memorial to Susanna Godolphin and to other members of the Tanat family (no date). Immediately to right is small cartouche to Owen Tanat (died 1668). Hatchment to Godolphin family, north wall of nave. Former school-room has tablet inscribed "This / School- house / was erected A.D. / 1719" to west wall. C20 lean-to toilet to west of north porch is not of special architectural interest. B.o.E. pp. 170- 1; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 9 (1908) pp. 798-800.

Listing NGR: SJ2394222893

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Cranage, DHS - Title: An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire - Date: 1908 - Volume: 9 - Page References: 798-800
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Shropshire - Date: 1958 - Page References: 170-171

National Grid Reference: SJ 23938 22891

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Aug-2014 at 11:01:09.