List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1307683

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthorityKingweston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-Apr-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 262907

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST53SW KINGWESTON CP -

2/102 Church of All Saints

17.4.59

GV II*

Parish Church. Some medieval fragments, but largely rebuilt by C.E. Giles of Taunton, 1852-55. Local lias stone ashlar, with Doulting stone dressings; stone slate roofs with ornamented stone ridges between coped gables with elaborate cross finials. In a C13 style. 2-cell plan having 2-bay chancel and 3-bay nave, with south tower with spire over porch, and small north east vestry. Chancel has plinth, eaves course, double corner buttresses; 3 light east window with geometric tracery under pointed arch label with foliated stops; two 2-light matching windows in south wall flanking moulded pointed arched doorway, all with pointed arched labels having foliated stops; on north wall vestry to match, with lean-to roof, circular chimney stack, 2-light east window, and west of Vestry a 2-light window to match south wall. Nave has plinth, corner and bay buttresses; taller 2-light windows with cusped tops and quatrefoil in circle tracery over, pointed arched labels and foliated stops; matching 4-light west window. Tower is single stage with spire; plinth, double corner buttresses for most of tower height, with quasi-broaches to octagonal spire, at the base of wich are 8 two light geometric traceried windows with ball flower ornament to reveals, under quatrefoiled gablets with pinnacles and gargoyles; spire plain with simple apex and weathervane; octagonal stair turret in south west corner; in south face a moulded doorway in C13 style with attached shafts with bell capitals, foliated stops to arched label; plain slit windows on west, south and east faces and clock on south face. Inside porch a C12 semi-circular arched doorway without tympanum, lozenge decoration to inner arch and jambs and chevron to upper outer arch, which has attached shafts and cushion capitals to jambs. Interior totally C19, but of elaborate workmanship. Chancel has arched braced roof with elaborate frets at wall plate level, on very heavily foliated corbel brackets, with angels to east corners; cinquefoil rere-arches to windows and carved angels and foliage to jambs of south east window, above simple sedilia: chancel fittings unremarkable. Nave similar in character but plainer; ashlar finished walls, quasi arch-braced crown post trussed roof; towards west end fine C12 font, plain bowl, moulded turned shaft and base. First recorded rector 1316.

Listing NGR: ST5251731324

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 52517 31324

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Jul-2014 at 04:12:01.