List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WYDDIAL HALL

List entry Number: 1307579

Location

WYDDIAL HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityWyddial

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 160372

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 3731 WYDDIAL WYDDIAL (North side)

10/151 Wyddial Hall 19.10.51

GV II*

Country house. Early C16 (probably 1516 for Humphrey Wellisbourne), remodelled after a fire and given present appearance 1733 for Francis Goulston. Altered c.1780 for John Thomas Ellis MP. NW service wing and main staircase 1836-65 for Charles Heaton-Ellis. Stuccoed brick with steep tiled roofs. A tall striking 2-storeys, cellar (and formerly attics) house facing E with central 2-storeys porch, canted 2-storeys bay window at each end of front, balustraded parapet over moulded entablature with triglyph frieze. 3 windows each side of porch. Recessed sash windows with 6/6 panes to lower floor and bays, tall casement windows to 1st floor with segmental heads. Entrance door has radial fanlight in semi circular head with resticated vermiculated surround. S garden front of 6 windows with similar sashes. Curved screenwall at N end. Drapentier engraving c.1700 shows C16 brick house of same bulk with central 2-storeys porch in same position and tall semi-circular bay window lighting hall extending to S of porch. 2 Doric columns now correspond to the hall screens. There was a lateral chimney and the service rooms to N of hall with surviving cellars below. The roof must have been rebuilt before 1700 incorporating attics and dormers. The plan resulting from rebuilding after the fire of 1733 was uncharacteristic of the time due to incorporation of much of the existing structure. The hall was floored over, the bay windows added, the porch refurbished, the main range made double-pile, the SW wing enlarged and the roof rebuilt incorporating older timbers. The present early Victorian stair replaced a C17 or C18 stair at the rear of the N part and the service rooms were moved to the W range. When the present toplit elegent stair was created the NW service wing was added behind it. The interior has a small panelled room on the 1st floor with scratch moulded small panels. The fine hall firesurround is said to come from Cokenach. (RCHM (1911) 245: VCH (1914) 114, 116: Pevsner (1977) 411-12; RCHM Typescript).

Listing NGR: TL3740431850

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1914), 114,116
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 411-12
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 37404 31850

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 09:49:31.