List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LUKE

List entry Number: 1307542

Location

CHURCH OF ST LUKE, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireMeltonDistrict AuthorityGaddesby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 01-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 189841

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 61 SE GADDESBY CHURCH LANE

(north side) 8/84 Church of St. Luke 1.1.68 I

Parish church. C12, C13, early and mid C14. Porch late C18. Chancel restored 1859. Coursed and squared ironstone and limestone ashlar with ashlar dressings and lead roofs. West tower with spire, nave with clerestory, north aisle, chancel, south aisle and chantry chapel, south porch. West tower, C13 and C14, 3 stages, has moulded plinth and sill band, 2 string courses and eaves band with masks. 4 shallow angle buttresses. Octagonal broach spire with 3 tiers of gabled lucarnes with double lancet openings, topped with a finial and a weathercock. West face has to first stage a chamfered single lancet, second stage, a clock and a single lancet. Bell stage has to each face a bar traceried double lancet with heavily moulded reveal and hood moulds with mask stops. Nave clerestory, 4 bays, has a ballflower frieze, and coped gable with kneelers and finial. North side has 4 Decorated ogee double lancets with moulded mullions and reveals: South side has 4 similar lancets, the eastern one untraceried. All these windows have hood moulds and mask stops. North aisle, mid C14, 5 bays, has deep moulded plinth, sill and impost bands, coved frieze with masks, parapet with stepped crenellations and single gargoyle to west. 2 double gabled angle buttresses and 4 double gabled intermediate buttresses, all topped with pinnacles and gargoyles. North side has a moulded ogee headed central doorway with triple shafts and hood mould, flanked on each side by 2 ogee triple lancets with shafts and flowing tracery. All these windows have hood moulds and mask stops. West end has a Decorated 4 light lancet with double shafts, hood mould and mask stops. East end has to left a C19 buttress supporting a stack in the form of a pinnacle, and a Decorated 4 light lancet with shafts and hood mould. Chancel, 2 bays, early C14, has chamfered plinth and eaves, moulded sill band, and coped gable with cross. North side has, to east, a triple lancet with intersecting tracery and to west an ogee double lancet, both with hood moulds and mask stops, and a chamfered doorway, 1859. East end has 2 diagonal buttresses with setoffs, and an untraceried stepped 5 light lancet with hood mould and mask stops. South side has to east a cusped ogee double lancet with 4 centred arched head and hood mould, and to west, a triple lancet with intersecting tracery. South aisle east end has moulded plinth and sill band, frieze with ballflowers, and 2 angle buttresses with setoffs. East end has a cusped ogee triple lancet with double shafts. South side, to east of the porch, has a buttress and to east, a Geometrical triple lancet. Both windows have hood moulds with a single stop. 2 bay chantry chapel west of porch, mid C14, has moulded plinth and sill band, continuous hood moulds, frieze with flowers, and stepped crenellated parapet and gable. South side has 2 buttresses and to west an angle buttress, all with crocketed canopies and topped with pinnacles, those to the south side being incomplete. West end has a central moulded doorway with shafts, and above it, an inserted heavily moulded segmental triangle window, both enclosed by a shaped crocketed hood mould. Above, a blank arcade with crocketed canopies and 3 niches with nodding ogee hoods. South side has 2 Geometrical triple lancets with shafts. C18 south porch has coped gable and plain round headed doorway with keystone. Above it, a sundial. Interior has moulded stone benches and roof of re-used timber. Double roll moulded early C13 doorway with keeled shafts, single leaf capital, hood mould and mask finial. Interior has triple chamfered C13 tower arch with octagonal responds. Above it, a small doorway. Tower base has to north and south, a blind chamfered arch. North and south arcades, C13 and C14, 5 bays, have octagonal piers and responds with various moulded capitals and low walls between the piers. The 2 easternmost south piers have round seat bases. Double chamfered arches have hood moulds with mask stops. Clerestory has windows with hood moulds and low pitched roof with cambered span beams and single purlin. North aisle has stone benches, sill band and eaves with ballflowers. West and north windows have keeled shafts and hood moulds with mask stops. East end has window with filleted shafts, flanked by single brackets. To its right, early C14 cusped piscina with gable and bracket with ballflower. South side has remains of 5 wall shafts with mask corbels. Restored C18 roof in 2 sections. Moulded and rebated C14 chancel arch has keeled responds and C19 crested traceried screen with central brass gates. North side has to west, C19 doorway with shafts and hood mould. To east, a fragment of carved frieze and a C19 aumbry. East end has large late C19 ashlar reredos with alabaster figures, in C14 style, and stained glass window, 1892, by Heaton, Butler & Bayne. South side has to east, a chamfered C13 piscina. Plain roof with chamfered span beams and purlins. South aisle east end has a window with shafts and hood mould with mask stops, flanked to the right by a bracket. South side has, to east, an early C14 piscina with hood mould, finial and mask stops. South window has patterned stained glass, 1879. To west, chamfered south doorway with hood mould, a single shaft, and the remains of a piscina. Chantry chapel at west end has a moulded sill band, and ornate foliate and ballflower friezes. South side has an ogee headed moulded tomb recess, and 2 windows with keeled shafts, hood moulds and mask stops. West end has a central segmental pointed doorway with round shafts, hood mould and mask stops. Plain roof. Fittings include 15 C16 benches with shaped ends and poppyheads,3 C17 plain benches, and late C19 stalls, benches, desks and pulpit. Single late C18 panelled pew. Re-set C18 altar rail with vase and stem balusters. C17 square poor box on stem, and plain chest. C13 octagonal font with cusped arcaded bowl. Memorials include C13 cross slab, incised slab 1498, to William Derby and wife, tomb chest c.1500, with 4 shields in quatrefoils, and the effigy of a knight. Outstanding marble monument, 1848, to Col. Edward Cheney, by J. Gott. Moulded chest with relief panel to front and military trophy panels at the ends. Above, almost like-size figures of dying horse and rider. 4 C19 marble and slate tablets to the Cheney family. 8 other marble and slate tablets.

Listing NGR: SK6897513051

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 68975 13051

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2014 at 05:57:21.