List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1307476

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, MELTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireMeltonDistrict AuthorityGarthorpe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 01-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 189855

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 82 SW GARTHORPE MELTON ROAD

(north-west side) 1/98 Church of St. Mary 1.1.68

G.V. I

Parish church. Early C13, C14, C15. Restored by J. Day, 1895. Coursed and squared ironstone and limestone with ashlar dressings and lead roofs. West tower, nave with clerestory, north aisle, chancel, south aisle, south porch. West tower, C15, 3 stages, has moulded plinth, 3 string courses, lozenge frieze with 4 gargoyles, crenellated parapet and 4 pinnacles. Diagonal buttresses, 4 setoffs. First stage has, to west, double lancet with panel tracery. Second stage has, to south, 2 quatrefoils. Third stage has on each side an ogee double lancet opening with hood mould. Clerestory, C15, 3 bays, has coped east gable with cross. North side has central cusped double lancet and south side 3 similar lancets, all with segmental pointed heads and hood moulds. North aisle, 2 unequal bays, has chamfered plinth and eaves and coped gables. West end has C14 ogee double lancet with flamboyant tracery and hood mould. North side has a corner buttress and a slightly off-centre buttress, both single setoffs. Near central Decorated ogee double lancet, and to west, moulded C13 doorway with hood mould. East end has a Decorated round headed double lancet with hood mould. Chancel, C13 and C15, 2 bays, has chamfered plinth and eaves and coped east gable with cross. East end has C14 untraceried triple lancet with segmental pointed head. South side has to west, filleted moulded C13 priest's door with filleted shafts and hood mould, and to east, late C14 reticulated triple lancet with flat head. South aisle, 3 bays, has chamfered plinth and eaves, coped ends, and 2 diagonal buttresses, 2 setoffs. East end has C14 reticulated triple lancet. South side has to east, restored Decorated ogee double lancet. West end has a similar triple lancet. All these lancets have hood moulds. Restored south porch has chamfered plinth and eaves, a pair of flanking buttresses, and coped gable with cross. Restored double chamfered C14 doorway with round shafts and hood mould. Interior has stone benches and restored roof with moulded purlin and ridge. C13 keeled and roll moulded doorway with hood mould. North arcade, mid-C13, has octagonal piers and round responds, with water holding bases and moulded abaci. Double chamfered semi-circular arches have hood moulds. Early C13 south arcade has round piers with water holding bases and moulded abaci. Chamfered round arches with half-roll and hollow moulding and hood moulds. Low pitched late C19 roof with arch braces, on C15 mask corbels. Tower arch, late C13, double. chamfered and rebated, has round responds with octagonal bases and abaci. North aisle east and west windows have early C14 stained glass roundels. Restored lean-to roof. South aisle has similar roof and moulded sill band. East end has to south, C13 cusped piscina and square aumbry. Chancel arch, late C13, double chamfered and rebated, has octagonal responds and hood mould. Chancel north side has to west, blocked window and to east, C14 moulded tomb recess. Above it, aumbry with crocketed nodding ogee canopy on mask corbels, with miniature flanking buttresses. East end has C19 stained glass window. South side has to east, C13 piscina with mask corbel, and to its right, seat in window recess. Panelled C19 ceiling with arch braces on mask corbels. Fittings include Perpendicular style reredos, stalls and desks with shaped ends, all late C19. Round eggcup font, C17. Octagonal traceried oak pulpit and octagonal font with flying buttresses, both by the Rev. W. Thorold, 1899. Decorated style font cover, 1898. C19 donations and Commandments boards. Royal Arms, George III, on board. Memorials include double oval cartouche, 1722, 3 brasses, C20 and roll of honour, 1918.

Listing NGR: SK8316020931

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 83160 20931

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2014 at 11:21:55.