List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURTON MEMORIAL DRINKING FOUNTAIN

List entry Number: 1307452

Location

CHURTON MEMORIAL DRINKING FOUNTAIN, BROWNLOW STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityWhitchurch Urban

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Mar-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 260592

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WHITCHURCH URBAN C.P. BROWNLOW STREET (west SJ 5441 SJ 54508 41565 side) 8/39 Churton Memorial - Drinking Fountain GV II

Drinking fountain, Dated 1882. Banded pink and grey granite base and banded red and grey sandstone ashlar upper parts. Octagonal plan. In a Gothic Revival style. Base with moulded stone cornice, steps up to chamfered- arched recess to front and back with copper lion-mask spouts and semi-circular bowls, and former semi-circular animal troughs to each side (flower beds at time of survey - November 1986). Inscription around top: "EVERY : ONE : THAT : DRINKETH / OF : THIS : WATER / SHALL THIRST : AGAIN / BUT : WHOSOEVER / DRINKETH : OF : THE : WATER : THAT / I : SHALL : GIVE : HIM / SHALL : NEVER : THIRST / ST JOHN : CHAP 4: VER 13 & 14". Chamfered offset to top part. Moulded arches to front and back, each with 2 cinquefoil- headed lights (but no central shaft), blind tracery, flanking square buttress with battlemented caps, and crocketed gable above with finial. Each side with 2 cinquefoil-headed blind panels, octagonal pier with moulded base and cap, and disused gas-lamp fitting. Octagonal pinnacle above consisting of blind ogee trefoil-headed panels to sides with gables above, and short crocketed spire with wrought-iron cross finial. Carved panel in arch to east depicting 2 women drawing water from a well. Inscription in arch to west not completely legible at time of survey (November 1986): THIS FOUNTAIN WAS/ ERECTED BY JOHN CHURTON / OF ... / IN LOVING MEMORY OF / HIS PARENTS AND... WIFE / ANN CHURTON AND AS / A MEMORIAL OF HIS / AFFECTIONATE & ENDURING / INTEREST IN THE WELFARE / OF HIS NATIVE TOWN 1882". The fountain formerly stood at the junction of Green End, Brownlow Street, Talbot Street and Station Road, but when the by-pass was built in 1924 it became a hindrance to traffic, and was eventually moved to its present site in the early 1930's. Whitchurch Area Archaeological Group, Whitchurch Remembered (1979), ill.71.

Listing NGR: SJ5450941566

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Whitchurch Remembered, (1979), ill 71

National Grid Reference: SJ 54509 41566

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 05:47:26.