List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST HUGH

List entry Number: 1307304

Location

CHURCH OF ST HUGH

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetMendipDistrict AuthorityPriddy

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 09-Feb-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 268094

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST55NW PRIDDY CP CHARTERHOUSE

2/75 Church of St Hugh (previously listed in the parish of Charter house) 9.2.61 GV II*

Anglican Church. Predominantly 1908 by W D Caroe on a slightly earlier meeting hall core. Roughcast on brick, battered walls, thin sloping buttresses, stone tiled roof with wide eaves of varying height, hipped roof to vestry, copper clad fleche with windvane, oak louvres, 2 roughcast chimneys. Continuous nave and chancel, the latter slightly narrower, vestry of single storey to west end. Arts and Crafts style. Three bay nave, 2 bay chancel, one, 2, 3, 4 and 5-light casenents, plain and unpainted, except to east end each light with a foiled head, east and west windows with iron saddle bars and stanchions; square-paned leaded lights. Paired plank doors to north and south of nave, original ironwork, small circular windows; door in conforming style to vestry. Interior plastered on plank floor with high quality lined oak fittings and furniture. Walls with simple panelling, at west end enfolding the font to form a war memorial, octagonal stone font. Nave with arch braced crown post roof; chancel with collar and tie beam roof, with lower angle braces. Panelled semi-circular head chancel arch with C15 style rood screen; elaborate altar table and reredos, the former in Celtic style. Nave and vestry with tiled fireplaces. Two readers, chest, lectern, chairs and organ in Arts and Crafts style. Oil lamps. East and west windows with richly stained glass, the former with the Nativity, the latter with the Apostles, by Horace Wilkinson. Vestry with iron pump. Formerly the parish church of the Parish of Charterhouse, now amalgamated with Priddy. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, North Somerset and Bristol, 1958; Church Guide).

Listing NGR: ST5013155663

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Title: Church of St Hugh Church Guide
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol - Date: 1958

National Grid Reference: ST 50131 55663

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Apr-2014 at 10:23:59.