List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1307276

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, MELTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireCharnwoodDistrict AuthorityThurmaston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jun-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Oct-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 189597

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

THURMASTON

SK 60 NW MELTON ROAD (East Side)

6/131 Church of St. Michael (Previously listed as church of 1.6.66 St Michael and All Angels)

II*

Parish Church, exterior largely of 1848 though the west tower is C14. Internally some early C14 work remains, including the arcades. Randomly coursed granite rubble throughout, with ashlar dressings. West tower, nave with 2 aisles, chancel. Buttressed tower of 2 stages, with C19 west doorway in roll moulded and hollow chamfered arch. 2-light C19 century window above. Paired foiled lights to bell chamber. Embattled parapet with gargoyles. Buttressed south aisle is of 1848: the west window is in a Decorated style the others are Perpendicular. 3-lights with paired lights above, in square headed openings with hoodmoulds and corbel heads. South doorway has roll moulded and hollow chamfered archway. Aisle and nave under a single sweep of roof. Chancel also of 1848 in Decorated style. 4-light east window. To the north east of Chancel a polygonal projecting chapel. North aisle has similar details to south, with the addition of a large gabled porch with parvise.

Internally, the arcades of the medieval church survive, and are of c1300. 5 bays round-chamfered arches on alternately octagonal and clustered columns, with heavy abaci western bay is a shallower arch of less height and later date, linking the existing church with the added tower, which has a tall double-chamfered arch. Nave roof is Victorian, an ornate and unusual construction, since the aisles are roofed under the same slope, the roof carried clear of the arcade wall on a higher timber arcade. Nave roof itself is of hammer-beam construction, ornately decorated in the spanadiels at the main braces. Narrow North doorway with double chamfered arch and responds.

Chancel arch is east of the steps up to the chancel, and rests on high corbels. Scissor braced roof 4-light east window with stained glass of 1879. East windows of aisles contain glass of 1845, in the style of a painting.

Font probably Victorian, squared lower base rises through chamfering to an octagonal section from which concave curves spring to support the plain octagonal basin.

Listing NGR: SK6103109359

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 61031 09359

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 02:55:57.