List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1307264

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireMeltonDistrict AuthorityTwyford and Thorpe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 01-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 189902

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 71 SW TWYFORD AND THORPE MAIN STREET

Twyford (north side) 9/145 Church of St. Andrew 1.1.68 I

Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15. Chancel rebuilt 1775. Restored, and vestry added, 1849. Organ chamber added 1889. Porch rebuilt 1858 and 1980. Coursed and squared ironstone and limestone ashlar with ashlar dressings and slate and copper roofs. Ashlar quoins. West tower, nave with clerestory, north aisle, vestry and organ chamber, chancel, south porch. West tower, C14 and C15, 3 stages, has moulded plinth, 2 chamfered string courses, shield frieze, coved eaves, 4 gargoyles, crenellated parapet and 4 pinnacles. 4 shallow clasping buttresses, that to south west with 2 small niches and figurative panel with crest. First stage has to west a cusped double lancet with hood mould and mask stops. Second stage has to south, a clock. Bell stage has on each side a cusped double lancet bell opening with coved reveal, hood mould and mask stops. Nave, 3 bays, has chamfered sill band and crenellated parapet and gable with cross. South side has 3 buttresses with 3 setoffs and 3 full height Perpendicular triple lancets with transoms, foiled heads, hood moulds and mask stops. North side has clerestory with plain parapet, and to east, 2 squat C15 double lancets with 4 centred arched heads, hood moulds and mask stops. North aisle, 3 bays, has 3 buttresses and to west, an angle buttress. Coved eaves. Central cove moulded C13 doorway with hood mould, flanked to east by a C15 graduated cusped triple lancet, and to west by a similar double lancet, both with hood moulds and mask stops. Vestry and organ chamber has to north, a gable with 3 buttresses and 3 chamfered single lancets. East side has an angle buttress and a re-set C15 cusped double lancet with panel tracery and hood mould. Unbuttressed chancel, single bay, has coped east gable and blank sides. East end has a Decorated triple lancet with hood mould, and above it a datestone inscribed '1775'. Unbuttressed south porch has chamfered plinth and re-set double chamfered C14 doorway with responds and hood mould. In each side, a Geometrical double lancet, C19. Porch interior has stone benches and common rafter roof. Moulded C13 south doorway with impost band and C19 door. Interior has double chamfered and rebated tower arch, C13, with shafts and moulded capitals, with crested Perpendicular style glazed screen, 1958. Nave arcade, late C12, 4 bays, attributed to the masons of Oakham Castle Hall. Round piers, the central one with a Corinthian capital. West respond has a lobed leaf capital, east respond a leaf-crocketed capital with dogtooth ornament. Remaining piers have moulded capitals. Chamfered and rebated round arches with hood moulds. Restored C15 roof with billet moulded tie beams with bosses, arch braces and wall shafts on mask corbels. North aisle east end has a depressed 4 centred arched opening to the organ chamber. Restored C15 roof with moulded tie beams, double arch braces and mask corbels. Vestry has a stained glass window, 1889. Chancel has C13 chamfered and rebated arch, restored, with a keeled north respond on an octagonal corbel. North side has a C19 round headed opening to the organ chamber and vestry. East end has a panelled wooden dado and reredos c.1891, and a stained glass window, 1960. Low pitched plain roof. Fittings include square font, C13, with dogtooth ornament on 3 corners and a lobed leaf on the fourth. East side has a foliated cross in a ring. Furnishings of 1849 include octagonal oak pulpit, lectern, stalls with poppyheads, plain benches and prayer desk. 2 late C17 curved chairs. 2 double donations boards, 1824. Monuments include 3 re-set C18 tablets to the Ashby family.

Listing NGR: SK7299210094

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 72992 10094

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Dec-2014 at 06:54:08.