List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

List entry Number: 1307235

Location

CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityMoreton Corbet and Lee Brockhurst

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 28-Oct-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 260057

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 5623-5723 MORETON CORBET C.P. MORETON CORBET

18/63 Church of Saint 28.10.60 Bartholomew

GV I

Parish church. C12 chancel and nave, south aisle added c.1330-40, west tower of c.1539 with top stage added or rebuilt in 1769 (datestone) at the expense of Andrew Corbet. Squire's pew added and west and east walls of chancel refaced or rebuilt in 1778 (datestone) for the rector, William Clarke, and whole church restored in 1883 at the expense of Sir Vincent R. Corbet (d.1891). Dressed red sandstone (C12) and grey sandstone ashlar; plain tile roofs. Nave, chancel, south aisle with squire's pew, and west tower. Tower: 3 stages. Double moulded plinth, diagonal west buttresses rising to approximately ¾ of height of tower with chamfered offsets, string course to top stage, cill string to belfry; moulded cornice, plain parapet with inscribed cartouche to west [illegible at time of survey (January 1986) except for date: 1769] and corner pinnacles which each have shallow ogee-headed panels with carved flaming urns on pedestals, and truncated crocketed caps (removed after lightening strike; see pair flanking war memorial to west - not included on this list). Stair turret to north-east with chamfered rectangular openings. Louvred 2-light belfry openings with Y-tracery, moulded architraves, and bracketed cills. C16 second stage west window of 3 trefoil-headed lights with panelled tracery, moulded reveals, and returned hoodmould. West doorway has a pair of C19 boarded doors with strap hinges, Tudor- arch with broach-stopped chamfered reveals, carved spandrels with foliage and shields, moulded square head, and returned hoodmould with carved Prince of Wales feathers and rose,and carved stops (left-hand missing). Nave: parapeted gable end to east with moulded kneelers. Central C18 buttress with chamfered plinth and 2 chamfered offsets and pair of flanking early C19 two-light windows with Y-tracery and double-chamfered reveals; blocked C18 round-arched window to left with keystone (partly obscured by left-hand window). C19 dressed grey sandstone lean-to to right incorporating fragments of dressed and carved masonry; 4-panelled door to right. Two early C19 tablets flanking central nave buttress. Chancel: parapeted gable end with moulded kneelers and coping. South side: straight-headed window to right of 2 trefoil-headed lights with double-chamfered reveals. Boarded priest's door to left with chamfered reveals and returned hoodmould with square stop. North side: C18 refacing or rebuilding. Single small round-arched window to left. East end: 2 large flanking plain buttresses with chamfered plinths and offsets. 3-light window with intersecting tracery and hoodmould with inverted bell-type stops (lower parts of window possibly medieval). Datestone in apex of gable inscribed: "W:C/Rectr: 1778". Early C19 tablet on north wall to Thomas Ray (d. Oct. 27 1823). South aisle: moulded plinth, diagonal buttresses with chamfered offsets and gabled tops and bases, coved eaves cornice, and parapeted gable ends with coved coping and moulded kneelers, and cross at apex to west. West end: moulded spherical-triangular window (of Alberbury - not included on this list) with cusped intersecting tracery. East end: plain buttress to right. Large window of 4 trefoil-headed lights with cusped flowing tracery, moulded reveals, and returned hoodmould. Squire's Pew: chamfered plinth, parapeted gable end with coved coping and weathered trefoiled kneelers, and integral diagonal brick corner stack to right. 3-light south window with intersecting tracery, moulded reveals, and hoodmould with inverted bell-type stops. Interior: probably C16 four-bay nave roof consisting of chamfered arch-braced collars with central pendants, V-struts, and 2 pairs of purlins, upper set with cusped wind braces. Tall double-chamfered tower arch with moulded capitals and bases. West gallery under tower with stick balusters. 3-bay C14 arcade consisting of quatrefoil-section piers with moulded bases and capitals, double hollow-chamfered arches, and continuous hoodmould. 4-bay south aisle roof with braced collars and 2 pairs of purlins. Moulded trefoiled piscina with shaped bowl and square aumbry in south aisle. Blocked door in south wall of aisle. 2 steps up to Squire's pew with moulded arch dying into responds and hoodmould, returned to left and with carved head stop to right; trussed-rafter roof. Continuously double-chamfered chancel arch. Hagioscope or squint between chancel and south aisle. Arch-braced trussed-rafter chancel roof with collars. Remains of C17 round-arched window in south wall of chancel, incorporated in sedile with bracket to support widening at left. Porch beneath west tower with chamfered ogee-arched doorway to stair turret. Fittings: chancel remodelled by Sir Ninian Comper in 1905 in memory of Vincent Stewart Corbet (d.1904, aged 13) [churchyard monument (q.v.)]. Altar with moulded base and marble top. Panelling behind with carved uprights depicting squirrels in oak leaves, and battlemented top. Painted wooden reredos set back in window with marble base. 3 bays; central posts resting on backs of 2 alabaster elephants and castles and carved squirrels on tops of shafts. Posts with moulded bases and buttresses. Cusped spandrels, vaulted soffit with carved bosses and transverse arches, and cresting to front. 2 small figures of the Annunciation free-standing against the glass. Canopy above reredos with pendants, pierced cusped spandrels, carved angels at front corners, frieze and latticed soffit. East wall and reveal of east window with painted (and gold leaf) Morris-type stencilled decoration. Roof with painted chevron decoration. C17 wooden pulpit (2 panels high) with carved lozenges, carved bands and frieze, and arcaded top. C17 reader's desk with 2-panelled front, carved arabesques, guilloche borders and carved frieze; side panels with lozenges and rosettes. C17 parish chest in chancel. C19 pews, possibly incorporating earlier materials. Circa 1800 octagonal stone Gothic font with tall trefoiled arcading, and semi-circular niche in each arch; wooden cover dated 1918. Squire's Pew: C19 wainscot panelling with quatrefoil frieze, C19 fireplace with cast-iron grate, ceramic-tiled reveals and hearth, and surround with quatrefoil frieze. Mid-C18 rails (possibly former communion rails) with turned balusters (grouped in 4 at ends and at gate), moulded ramped handrail, and central gate. Two probably early C19 benefactors' boards in west gallery. Stained glass: Comper glass in east window. Good glass in east window of south aisle dated 1892 in memory of Vincent Rowland Corbet. Fragments of Medieval stained glass incorporated in internal west doors and west window. Painted armorial glass in Squire's pew dated 1790. Good series of Corbet and other monuments; in south isle: chest tomb to Sir Robert Corbet (d.1513) and his wife; 3 x 6 bays with crocketed cinquefoil ogee panels, carved frieze, and 2 recumbent effigies. Chest tomb to Sir Richard Corbet (d.1567) and his wife; 2 x 5 bays divided by turned half-balusters; each bay with large painted shield resting on elephant or owl below; central panel with child in swaddling clothes, rose bush with lily growing out of it, and a panel below with a squirrel and foliage. Two late C17 style tablets with Latin inscriptions; right-hand has cartouche with flanking drapery, acanthus brackets, 2 pairs of flanking putti, and similar cartouche above topped by flaming urn; and left-hand has cartouche with 2 pairs of ravens in flanking foliage, inverted bell-type bracket below, and smaller cartouche above topped by elephant and castle. Tablet dated 1770 to the four sons of Richard Corbet (Andrew, Vincent, Richard and George); coloured marble; triangular pediment with cartouche and raven in tympanum, wreathed flaming urn above, and resting on brackets with husk drops below; bottom with frieze, 2 winged angels and inverted bell-style bracket. Charlotte Corbet (d.1771); coloured marble; tablet with putto standing by wreathed urn with drapery and in front of obelisk; shield and flanking husk drops above; heavy cornice with brackets and flanking scrolls; base with guttae. Large wall tablet to Sir Andrew Corbet (d.1790) with drapery over, and elephant and castle above. Elizabeth Mary Baldock (d.1894); coloured marbles; tablet with lugged central panel, winged angels head at top, Ionic pilasters, segmental pediment with shell, and brackets at base with putti. Monuments in Squire's pew: Richard Corbet (d.1691), in corner; painted grey stone; large fluted Corinthian pilasters, full-entablature with pulvinated frieze, breaking forward over columns, and open scrolled pediment with ravens over ends and central cartouche. Central moulded Gothic-arched recess with keystone and imposts and demi figure of the deceased. Base with large volute brackets beneath pilasters and large central winged angel's head. Frances Corbet (d.1760); painted stone tablet; unfluted Ionic half-columns on pedestals with oval paterae and supporting entablature, breaking forward over columns with oval paterae, and large semi-urn above; base with fluted brackets and central shield with raven on branch. D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, Part 8, pp.700-4; B.O.E., pp.203-4; Kelly's Directory of Shropshire and Herefordshire (1905), pp.155-6; Colvin, p.664; The Archeological Journal, Vol. CXIII,, pp.221-2.

Listing NGR: SJ5611523240

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978)
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 700-4
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 203-4
'Archaeological Journal' in Archaeological Journal, , Vol. 113, (1956), 221-222
'Kellys Directory' in Herefordshire and Shropshire, (1905), 155-6

National Grid Reference: SJ 56115 23240

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 05:51:16.