List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST FAITH

List entry Number: 1307119

Location

CHURCH OF ST FAITH

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireEast LindseyDistrict AuthorityCalcethorpe with Kelstern

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 09-Mar-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 195283

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KELSTERN TF 28 NE 7/31 Church of 9.3.67 St. Faith G.V. II*

Parish church. C14, C16, chancel rebuilt 1886. Squared coursed limestone rubble, ashlar render and slate roofs. Western tower, nave, chancel, north porch. 2 stage rendered tower having plain plinth, set back stepped buttresses, battlemented parapet, with single chamfered pointed louvred belfry lights, having moulded hoods. To the south side a 2 light window with moulded reveals and plain rectangular surround. The west door is double chamfered with moulded hood and human head label stops. The north wall of the nave has a 3 light C14 window with cusped ogee heads to the lights, quatrefoils and double chamfered surround and east of the porch is a similar window. The gabled north porch has a C19 outer arch with collared shafts to the responds and single chamfered arched surround, side benches and an inner doorway with C14 chamfered reveals and C19 moulded head. Further east in the north wall is a C16 3 light window, cusped heads to the lights and bold concave chamfered surround. The C19 ashlar vestry has 2 two light windows with moulded hoods and stops. There is a matching C19 geometric window in the north wall of the chancel. The larger east window is also of 3 lights and in a similar style. On the south side of the chancel are 2 windows matching that in the north. The south wall of the nave has 3 C16 windows matching that on the north side. Interior. The tower and chancel arches are both double chamfered with octagonal responds and moulded capitals. In the chancel on the north wall is an opening to the organ chamber and vestry having an octagonal respond to the east. All fittings are C19 apart from the C14 plain octagonal font which is supported on a base of engaged clustered shafts, and the 6 C16 bench ends at the west end of the nave which have pointed arched tops, and carvings of blank arcading, embattled brattishing and on one panel a scene of Reynard the Fox with a goose in his mouth, against a stippled ground. In the nave are 3 windows with stained glass by Sir Nicholas Comper to commemorate members of the Sleight family of Binbrook Hall. Monuments. In the south wall of the nave a distinctive alabaster wall monument to Elizabeth, wife of Sir Francis South of Kelstern, d.1604. The deceased is depicted seated with foot on skull, holding an hourglass. To right a chrism and she is flanked by putti with reversed torch and spade. A semi-circular arch rises from a gadrooned base and the back panel has strapwork design with epitaph, in the spandrels a sun dial and an allegorical scene. Beneath a black plaque recording her life. In the north wall of the nave a wall tablet to Ann South, d.1620, supported on classical head brackets, plain rectangular surround, with a cornice and cartouche above containing coat of arms, flanked by shields. Also a neo classical wall plaque with urn, to Richard Parnell Booth, d.1837, by Earle of Hull.

Listing NGR: TF2514989897

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 25149 89897

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Oct-2014 at 04:43:50.