List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

List entry Number: 1307089

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireEast LindseyDistrict AuthorityWelton Le Wold

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 09-Mar-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 195300

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WELTON LE WOLD CHURCH LANE TF 28 NE (east side) 7/48 Church of St. Martin 9.3.67 G.V. II*

Parish church. C14, C15, 1849 by S. S. Teulon. Squared ironstone rubble with ashlar dressings, with stone coped slate roofs having cruciform finials. Western tower, nave, north aisle, chancel, south porch. The short C14 3 stage tower has moulded plinth, chamfered string courses, castellated parapet with angle beast corbels, castellated pinnacle bases to the corners and stepped full height angle buttresses. The belfry stage has paired ogee headed louvred lights with vesicas over in single chamfered surrounds in the principle directions. The C15 west door has a hollow chamfered surround, 4 centred head and moulded hood. Above is a C15 3 light window with trefoil heads to lights, panel tracery, hollow chamfered surround and hood. The middle stage has a single light with trefoil head, sunk spandrels and rectangular surround. The remaining parts of the Church were rebuilt in 1849 in the Decorated style. The east and west walls of the north aisle have single 2 light windows with cusped ogee heads to the lights, paired mouchettes and moulded hood. The north wall has 4 similar windows separated by buttresses. The chancel north wall has a single light with cusped ogee head and hood. The east wall of the chancel has a 3 light window, cusped heads to the lights and flowing tracery with mouchettes and daggers. The south wall has 2 windows of 2 lights with cusped ogee heads to the lights and cusped tracery and hoods. The nave south wall has 3 taller 2 light windows matching those on the north side. The gabled south porch has a moulded outer doorway with shafted responds, foliate capitals and moulded hood. The porch has stone side benches, and inner doorway with simple continuous filleted roll moulded surround. The door has elaborate curvilinear wrought ironwork. Interior. The north nave arcade is of 4 bays, with octagonal piers and responds and double chamfered arches. The moulded hoods have single end stops of the Young Queen and a Bishop. The C14 tower arch also has octagonal responds, moulded capitals and single chamfered head, all in a continuous single chamfered surround. The chancel arch has octagonal responds and richly moulded head. Cusped king post roof to nave with ballflower corbels and arch braced roof to chancel with similar corbels. All fittings are C19 including painted metal commandment boards, but the font is C14 with octagonal base, shaft and bowl having blank shields in quatrelobes to the side, with C19 conical pulley operated cover. In the chancel by the north wall a small C13 slab with stepped cross and sheep shears. Also on the north wall a small brass wall plaque records the rebuilding of the church in 1849 by Rev. E. W. Hughes in commemoration of his son.

Listing NGR: TF2734787307

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 27347 87307

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 05:22:27.