List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: REDUNDANT CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1306956

Location

REDUNDANT CHURCH OF ST MARY, VICARAGE LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
EssexMaldonDistrict AuthorityMundon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 01-Nov-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 117405

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MUNDON VICARAGE LANE TL 80 SE 2/66 Redundant Church of 11.53 St. Mary ­ I

Former parish church, now vested in the Redundant Churches Fund. C14 and later. Nave of plastered rubble, Chancel of red brick, partly plastered, belfry timber-framed, plastered with some exposed framing, partly weatherboarded. N porch timber-framed. Roofs of handmade red clay tiles. Nave of uncertain date, but the earliest detail is C14. Chancel rebuilt above the plinth in C18. Belfry c.1500. N porch c.1600. The Chancel has an early C18 E window of 3 lights with a semi-circular head; the oak frame and wrought iron grill are original; pintles indicate the former presence of a casement. In the N wall is a similar window of 2 lights and a doorway with segmental arch. The wallplates are dentilled and moulded, with 2 plain tiebeams. The ceiling is plastered in 5 cants. The Nave has in the N wall a C14 window of 2 lights with moulded jambs, 2-centred arch and label, and Y-tracery; the mullion is restored. Further W is the late C14 N doorway, with double hollow-chamfered jambs and segmental arch with a moulded label and headstops; the jambs, arch and label are carved with rosettes and square flowers. The modern door retains one original or early strap-hinge and a later foiled scutcheon-plate. The E end of the N wall is of plastered brick. At the E end of the S wall is an early C16 brick archway with chamfered jambs and 4-centred arch, now blocked, but formerly opening into a chapel; the surrounding wall is of red brick, plastered. Above it is a C19 window. Further W is an early C16 brick window of two 4-centred lights in a 4-centred head with a moulded label. The S doorway is C18, with plain jambs and lintel, blocked. In the W wall is a doorway of c.1500 with jambs and 4-centred arch chamfered in 2 orders on the E, plain-chamfered on the W. Above it is an opening with chamfered jambs and segmental-pointed head. The roof of the nave is in 3 bays, of crownpost construction, plastered to the soffits of the rafters and collars. There are 3 plain tiebeams and 3 crownposts; the E crownpost is C15, octagonal with 4-way arched braces; the others are C16, plain with axial bracing. The belfry, of c.1500, has 4 posts in the middle forming a square, and round it is a semi-octagonal aisle. Solid braces form 4-centred arches to E and W, closely matching the shape of the W doorway of the nave. Halved saltire braces at the second stage are straight on the W side, slightly arched on the other 3 sides. Straight raking struts to the posts terminate in groundsills to N, W and S. There is an unglazed window to N and S, with restored diamond mullions and sliding shutters. The floor of the bell-chamber is of lodged plain joists of horizontal section with a framed bellway (severed on one side), without boards. The bell-frame for one bell is original, with saltire bracing; bell missing, reported to be in the possession of Latchingdon parish church. The N porch, c.1600, is in 2 bays. The outer doorway has moulded jambs and a moulded Tudor arch with spiral-leaf carving in the spandrels on both sides, and a moulded tiebeam. A projecting gable has a moulded tiebeam and bargeboards, restored finial, roll-moulded studs with inset boarding, moulded octagonal pendants, and carved hanging brackets similar to the spandrels of the doorway. On each side are 4 moulded mullions. The roof is of butt-purlin construction, with moulded wallplates, principal rafters, collars and ridge (partly missing), and roll-moulded rafters. It is illustrated in C.A. Hewett, Church Carpentry, a study based on Essex examples, 1982, 61. In the floor is an indent for figures of a man, 2 wives, inscription plate, and 2 groups of children, early C16. The fittings of the nave include an C18 plain octagonal pulpit and a complete set of 18 box pews. On the walls of the Chancel are C18 painted Commandments, Creed and Lord's Prayer. On the walls of the Nave are C18 painted texts, decayed. RCHM 1.

Listing NGR: TL8797302655

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Hewett, C A - Title: Church Carpentry A Study Based on Essex Examples - Date: 1982 - Page References: 61

National Grid Reference: TL 87973 02655

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Oct-2014 at 07:18:14.