List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1306877

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, STATION ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorfolkKing's Lynn and West NorfolkDistrict AuthorityHockwold cum Wilton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 08-Jul-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 221767

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HOCKWOLD CUM WILTON STATION ROAD TL 78 NW 16/24 Church of St. Peter 8.7.59 G.V. I

Redundant parish church. Mid C14 south-west tower and nave, nave and south aisle remodelled Cl5 when chancel constructed. No north aisle. Restored 1857. Flint with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. 2 stage tower, internally of 3 stages. Stepped angle buttresses on moulded plinth course. 2-light reticulated west window. C19 rounded lancets to ringing chamber. String course below 2-light reticulated belfry windows. Plain parapet. 2 2-light reticulated aisle windows and one 3-light Perpendicular window, the latter under 4-centred arch. Flat buttresses, diagonal to east. 3-light intersecting and ogeed east aisle window. Gabled south porch with depressed stilted arch illuminated through square-headed 2-light side windows. Nave clerestory of 4 3-light windows with supermullions rising to 4-centred arches. Chancel south wall pierced by 2 C19 2-light Perpendicular windows and depressed arched priest's door. One flat buttress. Diagonal east buttresses on flushwork plinth. 3-light Perpendicular east window below quatrefoil occulus. North chancel windows as south. North nave wall supported by heavy stepped flint buttress at east and 2 sloping C19 buttresses to west. Angle buttresses at west corner. 2 2-light square windows and one 3-light transomed early Perpendicular window. Nave west window of 3-lights with double intersecting ogees enclosing cusped vesica of c.1340. Interior. 4 bay south arcade of octagonal piers with moulded polygonal bases and capitals. Double chamfered arches. South clerestory windows over apexes. Nave roof of alternating tie beams and false hammerbeams, the ties on punched arched braces and carrying Queen posts and subsidiary struts. Hammerbeams in form of carved figures of angels supported on arched braces from which spring pierced arched braces to moulded ridge piece. One tier moulded butt purlins and moulded principals. Tower arch to south aisle with octagonal responds set on fluted plinths. Arched entrance to tower stairs with double continuous wave mouldings and hood mould on labels. East end of south aisle has bench sedilia and cinquefoiled ogee piscina. Plain octagonal font. Over north door wall painting with flowers. C19 chancel roof and ogeed sedilia and piscina, almost entirely C19. To left of chancel east window wall monument to Jermyn Wyche and Maria Hungerford 1719 by Robert Singleton of Bury St. Edmunds. Marble. 2 busts stand on gadrooned plinth before still life of putti with muscial instruments. This framed by 2 Composite columns. Beyond these to right and left 2 cherubs stand on plinth before Composite pilasters. Inscription in apron below busts. To left of east window wall monument to Cyril Wyche 1780 by John Ivory and J. de Carle. Marble. Moulded plinth supported on reeded consoles with palmettes. Inscription panel between consoles. On plinth is figure of weeping winged cherub by broken column and fallen torch. Black marble background.

Listing NGR: TL7249188015

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 72491 88015

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Apr-2014 at 07:00:23.