List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CLAYESMORE SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1305275

Location

CLAYESMORE SCHOOL, BLANDFORD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
DorsetNorth DorsetDistrict AuthorityIwerne Minster

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Jun-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 103208

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 8614 IWERNE MINSTER BLANDFORD ROAD (West Side)

10/118 Clayesmore School

II

Country house, now school, dated 1878 addition of-1908 east. By Alfred Waterhouse for Lord Wolverton. Rubble walls with ham stone ashlar dressings and bonding courses. Tiled roofs with ashlar stacks located mainly along the ridge. An asymmetric High Victorian mansion. 2 storeys with basements and attics, 9 window range. Service functions located in the west end. Stone mullioned windows of 1, 2 and 3 lights, those to the main rooms having cusped heads and those to the service rooms having straight heads. To the ground floor left is a large 4-light mullioned and transomed window. The next bay has a large 4-light mullioned and double transomed staircase window. 2-storey canted bay window to end of main block-Attic dormers. Cross-wing has tourelle in re-entrant angle. Single storey porch in third bay from left has pointed, cusped moulded archway. Single storey 1908 addition in a Tudor style having a flat roof and canted, mullioned bay window. Garden facade has an asymmetric composition with similar fenestration to that of the main front.

Internally the plan was originally of a spine corridor running through the main hall. Large main staircase with square newels having ball finials and square panelled balustrade. Most main rooms remodelled c.1900 and have neo-classical plasterwork and fittings. The 1908 addition has good quality neo-Jacobean chimney pieces and panelling. On the ground floor many original mosaics remain intact. The upper floor rooms are largely remodelled. (Newman, J and Pevsner, N. The Buildings of England: Dorset, 1972, p.239-40).

Listing NGR: ST8630814685

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Newman, J - Title: The Buildings of England: Dorset - Date: 1972 - Page References: 239-240

National Grid Reference: ST 86308 14685

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Aug-2014 at 11:11:42.