List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

List entry Number: 1305148

Location

CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, CHURCHDOWN HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireTewkesburyDistrict AuthorityChurchdown

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 07-Dec-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 126555

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHURCHDOWN CHURCHDOWN HILL SO 8819/8919 12/14 Church of St Bartholomew 10.1.55 GV I Parish church. C12, C13, C15 or C16, 1601 tower, C17, restored mid C19, 1880's by Ewan Christian. Stone approaching ashlar to tower and south chancel, otherwise coursed, squared stone; stone slate roof. Nave, western tower, south aisle, north porch, chancel. South facade: tower, plinth, octagonal turret on right, 2 slits, string course, slit, 2-light louvred window, string course, crenellated parapet with corner finials. Gable of south aisle on right, 3-light window, rounded trefoil heads, with almost 3-centred arch over: plain stone chute for valley gutter. South side, south aisle: angled corner buttresses, plinth, with eight C17 and C18 headstones set against it on left. Above, 2-light Perpendicular window; double-boarded door in moulded arch, buttress; to right sides and ends of 2 chest tombs built into wall, John and Edward Cummins, died 1706 and 1714: leaf and scroll carving, carved figures in half relief with momenti mori. Above, 3-light window with trefoil heads under transom just above springing of main arch, 2-light tracery above. Parapet gables with cross-gablet apices. Right return plain, some brick repairs, late C20 monument. Plinth to south chancel wall, 3-light window, flat head, double cusping to top of lights: 1880 on rainwater head. Parapet gable, stone cross on cross-gablet apex. Plinth to east wall, 3-light Perpendicular window over. North wall, plain to chancel, with plinth. Parapet gable to nave, cross on cross-gablet apex: square-set corner buttress. Plinth; with blue bricks under: 3- light Perpendicular window. Gabled, 2-storey north porch, rising above nave, splayed infill to angles each side. Two slits on left return, with corbelled base to probably former chimney. Arched doorway in gable, moulded surround, wrought-iron gates: inside boarded door in moulded surround, ribbed quadripartite vault on corner colonnettes, moulded capitals, scalloped bases. Parapet gable with cross-gablet apex with cross over. To right, nave set back, 3 reset C12 stones with chevron carving; diamond-shaped monument: square-set buttress. Tower, plinth, string course, then as south side. West face as north, but with 4-light king-mullion window in lower stage, 4-centred arch. Interior: south aisle, lower part of walls rendered. Segmental arch to door of reset chevron-moulded voussoirs. Four bay nave arcade, circular columns, moulded capitals and bases, plastered ceiling on line of braces to collar-rafter roof, 4 tie beams, 2 with crown or king posts. Nave stone paved, walls plastered, moulded oversailing eaves course above aisle arcade; wide, C19 chancel arch, plain capitals; wide, semi-circular arch to tower, datestone adjoining on north. Door from single board to stair to porch, in steeply-arched, moulded surround. Stoup by north door, window to porch room over. Cambered, plastered ceiling, with 5 king-post trusses. Minton-tile floor to east end chancel: piscina with cinquefoil head under pointed arch, sunk spandrels, moved from south aisle. Half a shallow stone bowl built into north wall. Collar rafter roof with straight braces, 1880's. Octagonal pulpit and sounding board, 1631: corner colonnettes and panelled and moulded sides, reading ledge on scrolled brackets. Panelled back with strapwork, arched top, downturned strapwork edge to sounding board with central pendant under. Octagonal, lead-lined font, swept stem with blind, trefoil-headed arches; foliated ogee arches to sides of bowl. A few C17 pews survive, with more reused ends. C17, C18 wall monuments in tower base, three C19 in south aisle, 1743 marble wall monument to Sir Robert Austen in chancel, gadrooning, fluted Doric pilasters, segmental top with coat of arms over. Gallery removed 1854. (W.T. Swift, History of Churchdown, 1905; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, the Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970)

Listing NGR: SO8823619106

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Swift, WT - Title: History of Churchdown - Date: 1905
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Verey, D - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean - Date: 1970

National Grid Reference: SO 88238 19101

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Apr-2014 at 05:31:01.