List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ODDA'S CHAPEL

List entry Number: 1304997

Location

ODDA'S CHAPEL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireTewkesburyDistrict AuthorityDeerhurst

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 04-Jul-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 126585

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DEERHURST DEERHURST VILLAGE SO 8629-8729 10/44 Odda's Chapel 4.7.60 GV I Former chapel, now in care of English Heritage. 1056 for Earl Odda (datestone); altered C17, C18, restored 1885, 1965. Nave random rubble, long and short quoins, stone slate roof, chancel rendered stone on north, irregular bond brickwork on south to ground floor, timber-framing with rendered panels above: tiled roof. Nave, chancel with inserted floor. North facade: gable of Abbot's Court on left (q.v.). Ground floor to chancel 4-light wooden casement, king mullion, leaded lights. Jettied upper floor, ovolo-moulded jetty beam. Framing above 4 panels high to eaves, lowest close studded, above 2 panels high each end square with curved decorative timber across corners, narrow herringbone between framing 4-light mullion and transom window, leaded lights; narrow panels over. To right, set forward from lower level nave wall, east end slightly battered. Window double-splayed, rendered reveals, tapers slightly upwards with semi-circular head. Doorway, iron gate, plain imposts, semi-circular head with hoodmould. Nave roof slightly lower than chancel, which oversails east wall of nave. West wall. plain, south facade disturbance from blocked doorway left, window as north nave: chancel ground floor 3-light wooden mullioned window, ovolo-moulding: above 3-panel high timber framing, close studded, blocked window. Roof as north. Interior: nave, brick jambs and timber lintel to former fireplace, west wall, opening bricked up. Two stone corbels north and south walls: chancel arch long and short quoins, moulded capitals, horseshoe arch, plain hoodmould. C20 rafter roof: outline king post truss on gable wall. Chancel: brick floor, outline original south wall on right, existing further out. C13 capital set in north-east corner: east wall brick, with reproduction of 1056 datestone, and inscribed plaque later reused as head to lancet window. Wide-chamfered beams over to floor, exposed joists: part floor removed. Room above blocked stone fireplace east wall, 4- centred head; blocked doorway adjoining, plastered ceiling, exposed spine beam, braces to tie-beam against nave wall. Chapel became part of Abbot's Court in early C17 when house built, chancel being floored over and most of the walls replaced, nave becoming kitchen. 1885 chapel was recognized and partly restored, fully disentangled from house 1965. Datestone had been found 1675 and taken to Ashmolean Museum at Oxford. Forms group with Abbot's Court, Priory Farmhouse and Church of St Mary (all q.v.). A.M. Gloucestershire 368. (H.M. & J. Taylor, Anglo-Saxon Architecture, 1965; Sir Eric Fletcher, Odda's Chapel, 1965; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, the Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970)



Listing NGR: SO8692029847

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Fletcher, E, Oddas Chapel, (1965)
Taylor, H M, J , , Anglo Saxon Architecture, (1965)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)

National Grid Reference: SO 86916 29850

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 08:46:11.