List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF SAINTS PETER AND PAUL

List entry Number: 1303950

Location

CHURCH OF SAINTS PETER AND PAUL, LONGHOUGHTON VILLAGE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthumberlandUnitary AuthorityLonghoughton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 31-Dec-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 237039

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NU 2515 LONGHOUGHTON LONGHOUGHTON VILLAGE (West side)

18/148 Church of Ss. 31.12.69 Peter and Paul

GV I

Parish Church. Nave and west part of chancel probably mid-C11; west tower early C12; south aisle, chancel extension and perhaps upper part of tower c.1200; porch remodelled C18; upper part of tower remodelled c.1840 after a fire; restoration with partial rebuilding of aisle and chancel, and addition of vestry, 1873 by Streatfield. C11 parts coursed rubble; tower large squared sandstone blocks, red in lower part and grey above; chancel extension squared stone; aisle large rubble; porch squared stone except for older rubble on west; 1873 parts squared stone with ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roof. Plan: nave with large west tower, 3-bay south aisle and south porch, chancel with north vestry.

Broad squat west tower in two stages divided by chamfered setback. Later medieval stepped buttresses on south and west and narrow round-headed lights in each wall. C19 two-light belfry openings in Saxon style, except on east where there is an old blocked opening and weatherings of 2 levels of nave roof; string below C19 embattled parapet.

West end of aisle has old chamfered plinth and C19 two-light window. South wall largely C19 except for old stepped buttress at each end. Porch has plain round-headed arch and coped gable with finial cross; wood-topped rubble benches and C19 south door: studded, with foliate hinges in moulded pointed arch. Two windows, each of 2 trefoiled lights, to east. East end of aisle shows C15 two-light window with panelled square head, under head of C13 lancet. North wall of nave shows three 1873 trefoil-headed lancets, and jambs of blocked medieval door.

Chancel shows medieval masonry in lower parts of walls only; all windows C19: paired and single lancets on south, single lancet on north, and 3 stepped round-headed lights in east end. Incorporated in east wall C12 chevron- moulded voussoir and head of C12 cross slab. Gabled vestry with 2-light window. C19 coped gables and finial crosses.

Interior: Plastered. Moulded semicircular tower arch with chamfered imposts on stepped jambs. Arcade of double-chamfered pointed arches, with chamfered hood to nave, on octagonal piers with moulded capitals and bases, and corbel responds. South aisle east window has shouldered round rear arch. C11 slightly-stilted round chancel arch of one square order, with chamfered impost band; large squint to south. Chancel has double-chamfered segmental-pointed arch to vestry/organ chamber and two small recesses with pointed arches, one trefoiled, south of sanctuary. C19 roofs: nave with arch-braced collar-beam trusses and scissor braces, chancel with similar trusses and wagon vault.

Font has older octagonal bowl on C19 panelled shaft and moulded base. Monuments: various C18 and early C19 wall tablets in south aisle. Old candelabra in nave now fitted with electric lights.



Listing NGR: NU2432615100

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NU 24326 15100

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2014 at 12:34:10.