List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE

List entry Number: 1303915

Location

CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireCotswoldDistrict AuthorityWick Rissington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 25-Aug-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 131003

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WICK RISSINGTON WYCK RISSINGTON VILLAGE SP 12 SE 1/272 Church of St Laurence 25.8.60 GV I Anglican parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15 restored by J. E. K. Cults 1879 when the transepts were demolished and the south aisle and porch were built. Nave and chancel, limestone rubble with dressed stone quoins. North aisle; coursed squared and dressed limestone. Tower ashlar. Nave with north aisle, porch at the west end of the aisle. Part of the C12 corbel table visible on the north and south sides of the nave. Nave south wall; two 2- light and one 3-light windows with rectangular casement-moulded surrounds, Perpendicular tracery (restored C19) and moulded stopped hoods with carved head stops. The central window of the three appears to lie within a blocked doorway and is probably entirely C19. C14 style, C19 pointed window with moulded hood with early stops far right within the blocking of the arch formerly opening into the south transept. Chancel south wall; plinth with deep flat chamfer. C13 lancet with moulded continuous dripmould and continuous roll-moulded sill below. Narrow plank priest's door with decorative hinges within a narrow C13 flat-chamfered basket- headed surround with a segmental moulded hood lower right. C14 pointed 2-light window far left with a stopped hood, C15 two-light window with a rectangular casement moulded surround with a moulded hood with diamond shaped stops far right. Clasping 'gabled' buttresses at the east end. Two pairs of tall thin lancets with roll-moulded continuous sill below, single diamond-shaped lights with concave sides above each pair of lancets. Continuous dripmould continued over these in a series of steps. Single diamond-shaped light towards the apex of the gable. North side of chancel with 3 lancets with a continuous moulded hood and a continuous sill below. North aisle; 3 pairs of lancets. Gabled C19 porch at the west end with a pair of C19 double doors with decorative hinges within a double-chamfered pointed surround. Tower of four diminishing stages (the lower 2 stages being probably of C13 date). Clasping 'gabled' buttresses on the west. Deep plinth with 3 chamfered stages. C19 plank west door with decorative strap hinges and a moulded stopped hood. Tall lancet with a moulded continuous hood above. The third and fourth stages have lancet-shaped belfry windows with stone slate louvres. The upper stage windows have hoods with blind quatrefoils. Parapet with blind trefoil arcading with a pinnacle at each corner. Moulded strings between the first and second stages. Stepped coped gables with upright cross finials. Circular chimney at the west end of the north aisle. Porch interior; C19 plank door within a reset C12 flat-chamfered round-headed doorway with a stopped hood. Early headstone with a circular head and crudely inscribed inscription 'T (?) M / (?) JESPER / IRLAND / MADETH / ---- (?) N 1638 /. Upper part of a Medieval grave slab with a cross with foliate decoration below the latter. Lower part of the slab set in the wall opposite. Double C19 plank doors with decorative hinges within a C19 cinquefoil- headed surround, to the nave. Church interior; plastered with a 2-bay C19 nave arcade with pointed arches and a single pier in the form of four engaged columns. C12 corbel table faces into the north aisle. Tall pointed C15 arch of three chamfered orders, between the nave and tower base, the inner order rises from engaged semi-circular columns with moulded capitals. Pointed chancel arch of two chamfered orders, with the mouldings of the capitals continued either side of the archway. C19 trussed rafter roof to the nave, medieval wagon roof to the chancel. Coloured tile flooring with some encaustic tiling in the chancel and sanctuary. Stone bench seats along the south and north walls of the chancel. Two trefoil-headed piscinas in the chancel south wall one with mutilated enrichment, scalloped bowl and a moulded hood which is continued along the south, east, and north walls either under or over various openings towards 2 aumbreys with plank doors with decorative strap hinges. Three niches one with a rectangular stone tank and drain in the north wall. Continuous hoodmould over the windows in the north and south walls. Nave; high round- headed arch with simple moulded capitals and keel moulding continued down the jambs behind the pulpit, this arch formerly opened into the south transept. Furniture and fittings; tub- shaped font of c1200 at the west end of the nave. C19 pews with fielded backs. C19 octagonal wooden font with blind tracery. C20 chair stalls. Brass lectern. C19 Tortoise stove, by Portway and Son, Halstead, Essex at the east end of the vestry. C19 organ in the chancel. C19 wooden communion rail and ornately carved reredos with crucifixion and figure of St George and the Dragon. The C17 altar table with turned legs stands on Medieval altar slab. Twelve circular olive wood plaques (originally 15) on the walls of the chancel. The plaques are probably Flemish and of C15 or C16 date and form part of a rosary and depicting the Joyful, Sorrowful and Glorious mysteries. Stained glass; there are a few fragments of early C14 coloured glass in the heads of the lancets. The window on the south has the Crucifixion scene at the top, the glass is otherwise grisaille. Apart from the C14 fragments in the chancel the glass is C19 or C20, one window by Kempe and Tower 1917 and one by Powell and Sons of Whitefriars 1928. History; the Advowson gave the rents to Eynsham Abbey before 1264 and it is possible that the monks of Eynsham were responsible for the building of the chancel and tower. (V.C.H., Glos, Vol VI p188 - 119 and David Verey, The Buildings of England; The Cotswolds, 1979)



Listing NGR: SP1916021494

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Verey, D - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds - Date: 1970
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester - Date: 1965 - Volume: 6

National Grid Reference: SP 19162 21496

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Jul-2014 at 06:38:46.