List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1303508

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, MARKET PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthumberlandUnitary AuthorityCorbridge

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 15-Apr-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 239927

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CORBRIDGE MARKET PLACE NY 9864 (North side)

21/166 Church of St Andrew 15.4.69 I

Parish Church. Nave late C7 or C8, with 2-storey west porch raised into tower in early C11. 3-phase C13 remodelling: chancel rebuilt and north nave aisle added; north chancel aisle, south nave aisle and transepts added; south aisle widened and north transept aisle added. belfry windows remodelled 1729; south-west vestry 1835; east lancets 1853; aisle and transept walls largely rebuilt 1867; nave clerestorey, north vestry and organ chamber early C20; south porch 1919. Rubble with re-used Roman material, except for squared stone of chancel and snecked stone of C19/20 parts; Welsh slate roofs except for stone slates on south porch.

West tower shows massive quoins; C19 3-light window set in original arched doorway, with worn saltire crosses on voussoirs of relieving arch, and round-headed window above. Similar window above nave roof on east is the original west window of taller Pre-Conquest nave, now incorporated in tower wall. Band below altered bell openings with later imposts and pointed heads on old jambs. String course above; tall crenellated parapet with blocked openings below on east and west. South porch has clasping buttresses, moulded Romanesque arch with small arched window over, and window of 3 round-headed lights on west. Aisle wall to east with 2 trefoil- headed lancets; former vestry to west with metal-latticed sash and basket-arched doorway on west. North aisle wall C19 except for west bay, former vestry or anchorage, with tiny lancet on north and slit with lancet above on west. Clerestorey windows of 1,2 or 3 round-headed lights. Transepts have gable ends with triplets of renewed lancets and finial crosses. East wall of south transept shows 3-light C13 window,with intersecting tracery, and square-headed light to north. 4-bay chancel with chamfered and moulded plinth, buttresses with gabled setbacks, and moulded strings at sill and window head levels. Lancets, trefoil- headed in central bays. Inserted 2-light low-side window in first bay and trefoil-arched priest's door in second. Similar buttresses at east end, shortened beneath lancets. Coped gables with finial crosses. Eastern half of chancel aisle, with trefoiled lancets, is C19;but C13 walling and 2 single-light windows (one now hidden by organ chamber) survive further west.

Interior: south porch has ribbed segmental vault; C12 south door has round arch of 2 chevron-moulded orders on shafts with fluted caps. Unmoulded round-headed tower arch on moulded imposts (southern cut back) is thought to be re-set Roman feature. 3-bay nave arcades have double-chamfered pointed arches with broach stops and chamfered hoodmoulds, on octagonal piers with moulded capitals; over north arcade remains of two Pre-Conquest windows. Similar 2-bay west arcade in north transept, and double-chamfered arch to chancel aisle; similar 4-centred arch between south transept and nave aisle. Segmental-arched tomb recess on north of north transept with inscribed medieval slab; trefoiled piscina in south transept.

Pointed double-chamfered chancel arch on double-shafted jambs cut back,with insertion of additional lower moulded capitals,when arch widened. 4-bay north arcade of similar form to nave arcades. Moulded sill string on south carried up over segmental rear arch of priest's door: trefoiled piscina. Late C13 slab with foliate cross and shears re-used as lintel of low-side. 2-bay transverse arcade in north aisle is C20 feature carrying organ chamber wall.

Fittings and furnishings of good quality, largely late C19 or C20. Several medieval cross slabs in paving including important inscribed example in south transept; C17 and C18 floor stones include one of 1708 in chancel which is medieval altar slab re-used. Good early C20 glass in south transept ('Dorcas window') and south porch.

Northumberland County History X (1914) 178-198 H.M. & J. Taylor, 'Anglo Saxon Architecture' Vol. 1 (1965) 172-176

Listing NGR: NY9883464436

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Taylor, H M, J , , Anglo Saxon Architecture, (1965), 172-176
Craster, H H E, 'A History of Northumberland' in The Parish of Corbridge, , Vol. 10, (1914), 178-198

National Grid Reference: NY 98833 64433

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 05:56:38.