List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: DANEWAY HOUSE

List entry Number: 1303397

Location

DANEWAY HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireStroudDistrict AuthorityBisley-with-Lypiatt

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 28-Jun-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 132587

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 90 SW BISLEY-WITH-LYPIATT DANEWAY

7/31 Daneway House

28.6.60

GV I

Detached manor house. Mid-late C14; c1620 and c1717 additions. Random rubble and coursed thin-bedded rubble limestone; ashlar chimneys; stone slate roof. Medieval hall runs east-west with later inserted floor; four-storey with attic tower at south east corner; 2-storey wing to south west corner, both additions forming small court. West side: central parapet gable end of hall with 3 buttresses; 4 leaded timber casements with rendered lintels. Finely carved C20 inscription on left buttress. Lower 2-storey service wing running to left is of 2 builds, first section incorporating small ogee-headed lancet to upper floor, possibly re- used from oratory. Two 2-light recessed chamfered mullioned casements with hoodmoulds to side of wing running to right; large timber mullioned and transomed window above with leaded casements. South front: 2 additions to side of hall with court between. The High Building of c1620 is an unusually tall 4-storey cross-gabled tower with moulded parapet gable to each face. Single-window fenestration to 3 sides, mainly to south and east faces; 2 + 2- light to both middle floors; 3-light to upper floor on south and east sides, 2-light to west side; single-light to attic, all ovolo mullioned with hoodmoulds, diagonal lead latticed casements. Relieving arch over lower of 2 main windows on south face; two 2- light casements under combining hoodmould to ground floor below. Doorway on west side of High Building approached up stone steps and doorway in court screen wall to left with coped top are identical: moulded and round arched with imposts, keystone and rusticated arch. Hoodmould over each with diamond shapes in spandrels. Two parapet gables with cross-roll saddles to projecting wing to left, right gable with deep stone lintel with slightly pointed underside to wide doorway below with plank door. Three-light ovolo moulded casement with hoodmould to upper floor; sundial above dated 1717. Three-light lower and 2-light upper floor casements below left gable. East side: High Building to left has right of centre projecting parapet gabled stair turret with 2 single-light casements having hoodmoulds. Gabled addition to end of hall range to right has 2-light casement; plain cap to chimney above. North side: full length of C14 hall visible. Ogee arched doorway to cross-passage with very small single-light to left. Plain cavetto cap to central ridge mounted chimney. Upper floor level doorway with timber lintel and plank door in small gable on east side of wing projecting forward to right; eaves-mounted chimney with moulded cap. Small reset trefoil window immediately below eaves to left. Interior: south entrance hall has ogee arched doorway in side wall formerly leading to oratory. Chamfered pointed arched doorway at south end of hall cross-passage. Main room in hall has cambered moulded beam; central chimney stack probably inserted late C16. Dividing 2 east bays of hall roof is arched braced collar truss; truss to west side of chimney is simpler with vertical studding infill. Pointed arched doorway to room above entrance hall with ancient plank door. Rooms in High Building have Jacobean plaster ceilings. Main chamber, called Trout Room because of plastered fish above moulded fireplace with low pointed arch, has fleurs-de- lys alternating with rosettes in frieze. Porch Room above has more elaborate plaster ceiling and panelled timber porch lobby. Similar plasterwork to ceiling and beams in upper floor room. Built as manor house of the Clifford family, was later owned by John Hancox who added the notable High Building. House was lent by Lord Bathurst to Ernest Gimson and the Barnsley brothers after their move from Pinbury Park c1900. It formed a suitable display case for their traditionally designed furniture. In later C20 was home of architect Oliver Hill. Extremely picturesque in composition but important as illustration of transition from medieval hall to yeoman's country house. (Illustrated in two Country Life articles, 6th March 1909 and 4th January 1952; M. Comino, Gimson and the Barnsleys, 1980; N.M. Herbert, 'Bisley' in V.C.H. Glos. xi, 1976, pp 4-40; W.R. Lethaby et al., Ernest Gimson - His Life and Work, 1924; and D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979)

Listing NGR: SO9409703638

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Comino, M , Gimson and the Barnsleys, (1980)
Lethaby, W R et al, Ernest Gimson His Life and Work, (1924)
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1976), 4-40
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)
'Country Life' in 6 March, (1909)
'Country Life' in 4 January, (1952)

National Grid Reference: SO 94097 03638

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 06:53:48.