List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MAIN BUILDING TO FARNBOROUGH HILL CONVENT

List entry Number: 1303116

Location

MAIN BUILDING TO FARNBOROUGH HILL CONVENT, FARNBOROUGH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HampshireRushmoorDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 13-Nov-1975

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 137850

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FARNBOROUGH ROAD 1. 5238 Farnborough Main building to Farnborough Hill Convent SU 8756 4/26 13.11.75 2. Large house by H E Kendall Jun. built for T G Longman (publisher) 1863; following his death in 1879 the house was bought by the widowed Empress of Napoleon III, who extended the building (1883), which became a 'court in exile' until her heath in 1920. During the present century used as an RC public school for girls, again being extended.

Stockbroker/baronial fantasy. 2 storeys, with 5 storey tower above entrance. The ground floor is in red brick, with lavish Bath stone dressings; above is an elaborate half-timbered superstructure in a late-medieval Continental style. Steep tile roofing, pyramid octagonal lead-covered turret, mini-hips and many gables; ornate barge boards to gables and dormers. Plaster infilling to framework, some with relief carvings, bands at first and second floor level. Mullion/ transom fenestration, in wood above but stone on ground floor. Highly decorated treatment includes the monogram of the first owner. Later additions of several periods; earlier in French style but the latest in plainer neo- Georgian.

Listing NGR: SU8762456569

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 87188 56449

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Dec-2014 at 08:45:23.