List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1303073

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireForest of DeanDistrict AuthorityDymock

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 02-Oct-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Mar-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 125921

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DYMOCK THE VILLAGE SO 73 SW (north side)

5/103 Church of St. Mary (formerly listed as Church of St. Mary, Dymock)

2.10.54

GV I

Parish Church. C11, C12, C14, C15, probably C18, Cl9 restoration. Tower, well squared coursed stone; west end nave and east end chancel random rubble with ashlar dressings; transepts and vestry roughly squared, coursed stone with ashlar dressings; squared, coursed stone to east end nave, and bottom part west end, also west part of chancel. Tiled roofs, shingled spire. West tower and spire, long nave, staggered transepts, south porch, chancel, vestry and organ chamber. South face: tower, moulded plinth, octagonal turret for stair on left, diagonal corner buttress, with 2 blind panels at foot, ogee heads, stands for statues, coats of arms adjoining. Slight offset in side of buttress for part of height. Tower in 3 stages: wall monument in lowest, moulded string, slit window for stair, square-headed window centre face with circular clock face over. Moulded string, with pointed-headed recess above, with creasing for gable hood over. Above stone changes from red to green: 2-light Perpendicular-tracery window over, louvres, centre mullion replaced with wood. Moulded string and plain parapet above, corner finials, low pepperpot roof to stair turret. Octagonal spire, lean-to ventilation openings to each face low down, to cardinal faces only above: weathervane. Nave: diagonal buttress on left: chamfered plinth, 3 pilaster buttresses to bottom of wall: above wall monument, 1821; 3-light reticulated tracery window to right, hoodmould. Break in stonework on right: moulded string, pilaster buttress to eaves; semi-circular headed lancet with nook shafts, roll moulding to arch. Further pilasters over porch roof. Chamfered plinth to porch, twin lancet left return, diagonal corner buttress, moulded door surround, sunken carved spandrels over. Ogee-headed recess in gable, statue of Virgin and Child, 1927 by Owen Wynniatt. Parapet gable with stone cross on apex. Transept low, adjoins porch on right; plinth; 3- light Perpendicular window, hoodmould; painted wooden sundial over, dated 1770. To right 1818 wall monument, diagonal corner buttress. Nave wall has slight set back to right: 3 pilaster buttresses with string course below: above semi-circular headed 4- light window, Perpendicular tracery: part of blocked window immediately to left: brick infill left and right of window head. Corner pilaster rises to eaves. Lower chancel on right: plinth, moulded string to first section; wall cut for 2-light window, trefoil heads, slight ogee apex: 1695 wall monument below. To right moulded string reappears with above 2 bays blind arches, left edge missing, centre pillar triple column, scalloped capitals, diaper pattern infill to semi-circular heads over. Pilaster to right slightly angled for start of polygonal apse. To right no plinth, blocked door opening, rectangular window above, chamfered reveals: square set buttress, 2-light window, trefoil heads, no hoodmould: diagonal corner buttress. Parapet gable to chancel, cross-gablet apex with floriate cross. East end, diagonal corner buttresses, 5-light Perpendicular tracery window, 2 king mullions, bottom of centre 3-lights infilled with quatrefoils. Dancocks wall monument on right, 1849 (of Great Netherton farm, q.v.). Side wall to vestry set back on right, plinth, boarded door with hoodmould, carved heads as stops. Diagonal buttress on right, parapet gable. North face: tower generally as south side, but no clock or stair turret, 2-light flat-headed window in second stage. Diagonal buttress to nave: 4 pilaster buttresses lower part of nave: 2- light window over two buttresses, probably flanking a former doorway. String course on left, pilaster buttresses to eaves, 3- light reticulated tracery window with hoodmould. Transept, 2- light window in right return, trefoil heads, no hoodmould; diagonal corner buttress. Gable, 1860 wall monument on right: 3- light Perpendicular tracery window, hoodmould, vertical joint to left. Parapet gable over. Two-light window in nave over transept roof on left, semi-circular heads to lights below flat hoodmould. Slight set back on left: boarded door in deep recess with square head. To left twin-gabled vestry against chancel: diagonal corner buttresses, square set centre. Two-light window to each half, spherical triangles in head, hoodmoulds with head stops: window on left in projection, with offsets above, formerly carrying chimney. Parapet gables. Interior: porch: arch-braced collar rafter roof; plinth for transept on right. At rear early C12 doorway, boarded door, between pilaster buttresses, nook shafts with Ionic volutes to capitals, roll moulding to door jamb: semi-circular tympanum with tree of life and pellet surround, 2 rows chevrons above to arch and hoodmould. Nave: walls scraped. West end 3-light Decorated- tracery window to tower over boarded door: wall thickened internally slightly above eaves, with semi-circular arch over window. Unmoulded semi-circular arches to transepts; to east, on north side semi-circular tympanum to low door, dummy voussoirs: low, infilled pointed arch beyond. Outline of semi-circular arch above, with flat relieving arch over: vertical joint to left. South wall, part brick infill to blocked openings either side present window. Wide chancel arch, with large, hollow chamfer, on corner columns with volutes to cushion capitals. Wooden screen, central doors, 3-light openings each side, leaf decoration to beam over: blind panelling below. Plaster barrel vault to nave, western part, flat plastered ceiling east of transepts. Chancel, large arch on left, for organ: slab with foliate cross reset on south window sill. Short length of Norman string course to right of organ arch: pilaster buttress each side by communion rails, about 2.5m high, quarter column on corners. C19 aumbry on left, carved back, stone shelf on brackets. Segmental panelled wooden ceiling. North transept, statue recess on east wall, ogee head with finial, vault inside: arch braced collar rafter roof. South transept collar rafter roof, semi-circular bracing, oak screen to nave. Octagonal stone pulpit with marble corner columns on 4 clustered columns (fitted by c1880). Circular stone font on stem and 4 panelled external supports, finished with angels. C17 communion rails, moulded rail, urn balusters, square newels. Benefactions board in porch. 1718 Wintour monument in chancel, broken pediment, Corinthian pilasters, gadrooned bases. 1670 Winniatt monument in north transept, 1790 trompe d'oeil to Ann Cam in nave: one C17 and ten late C18 or early C19 monuments. C17 turned oak font in north transept. H.M. Taylor considers oldest parts of church late Saxon. West tower added C15. Church restored 1870's by J. Middleton: chancel screen by Waller, 1891. Forms group with High House (q.v.). (H.M. & J. Taylor, Anglo-Saxon Architecture, I, 1966; The Rev. J. E. Gethyn-Jones, Dymock down the Ages, 1966; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, the Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970)

Listing NGR: SO7004131231

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Taylor, H M and J - Title: Anglo Saxon Architecture - Date: 1965 - Volume: 1
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Jones, J E G - Title: Dymock down the Ages - Date: 1966
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Verey, D - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean - Date: 1970

National Grid Reference: SO 70043 31230

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Jul-2014 at 04:06:38.