List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WOODMANTON FARMHOUSE, KITCHEN, OUTBUILDINGS AND TOWER BASE

List entry Number: 1302591

Location

WOODMANTON FARMHOUSE, KITCHEN, OUTBUILDINGS AND TOWER BASE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WorcestershireMalvern HillsDistrict AuthorityClifton upon Teme

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Nov-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Sep-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 151550

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 76 SW CLIFTON UPON TEME -

2/17 Woodmanton Farmhouse, kitchen outbuildings and tower base 12.11.51 (formerly listed as Woodmanton Manor)

GV II*

Farmhouse, kitchen and outbuildings with tower base. In three parts. Farmhouse: about 1827. Red brick, probably formerly stuccoed, hipped slate roof, 2 brick stacks. Plain villa. 2 storeys, plain pilasters at corners. 3 windows: 16-pane sashes under rubbled brick heads; ground floor: 20-pane sashes flanking central entrance with stuccoed portico, the square plan pillars bear incised Soanean design, and support flat canopy with moulded cornice, the door is half glazed with a marginally glazed rectangular fan- light. Kitchen: possibly former chapel, attached to north east corner of house: C14 with C16 to C19 alterations. Timber-frame with brick cladding and rubble additions. 2 storeys with 3 ranges of C19 casements, under segmental heads on ground floor, underside of tie-beam on left gable (visible from the rear) indicates position of a former window; rubble outshut to rear probably C18. Interior: 2 framed bays; central truss has massive tie-beam (formerly with solid curved braces), jowelled main posts; the ashlar pieces are curved and extend to meet the curved braces to the collar, forming a 2 centred arch; the common rafters have similar ashlar pieces and braces; there are no purlins. The wall-plate is of 2 timbers, with roll mouldings. Blocked 2-light window with ogee trefoiled heads in rear (north) wall. Existing floor is probably C17, stack probably inserted in C16. Outbuildings with tower base, attached to south west corner of house: mid C19 and possibly C14. Rubble with plain tile roof. L plan, circular tower base at extreme north west corner. 3 bays in south range, 4 in west range with segmental headed openings, C20 rsj to main opening in north range, principal feature the base of a coursed rubble tower at north west corner projecting into moat. The tower base, moat to west and south of house and possible chapel may date to 1332 when John de Wisham obtained a licence to crenellate. (VCH 4, page 247; BoE page 122).

Listing NGR: SO7189660476

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1924), 247
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 122

National Grid Reference: SO 71896 60476

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 02:31:21.