List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: REMAINS OF OLD CHURCH

List entry Number: 1302362

Location

REMAINS OF OLD CHURCH

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HampshireTest ValleyDistrict AuthorityStockbridge

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Nov-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 140401

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 3535 & SU33SE STOCKBRIDGE STOCKBRIDGE (south side)

15/31 and 7/31 Remains of Old Church

GV II*

Chancel of old church. Circa 1300, rest demolished c1866. Rubble flint mostly rendered with stone dressings and brick repairs. Chancel has C14 2-light trefoiled E window. To N small NE buttress, taller NW buttress and on wall memorials; C17 to Jones Cesom, 1737 to Anne Gauntlet, 1764 to Thomas Gauntlet, 1729 to Edward Avenvile, 1774 to John Attwood. S wall has low square opening with timber lintel at E with reset corbel blocks either side. To W late C13 pointed 2 chamfered order arch with hollow chamfered impost with bead, blocked in, orginally to S chapel. To W late C13 pointed, 2 order chancel arch with simply mounded capitals but carved breasts as stops to returns, and shafts with moulded bases. Arch blocked in but in centre reset C15 door of 2 moulded orders with C19 plank door with studs and straps each side short buttress. Inside older large pointed rear arch to E window. Each side painted on wall achievements of royal arms, to S 'ER 1588', to N 'GR 1726'. In N Wall 2 blocked painted windows. Memorial on N wall 1683 to Mary Gibes. In SE is pointed niche with damaged piscina below. To W round arch with slight chamfer, possibly sedilion. Inside is square low window. C17 altar table. Roof has ceiling above cambered tie. VCH; 1911; Vol 4; p485.

Listing NGR: SU3549935143

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1911), 485

National Grid Reference: SU 35961 34997

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 03:51:42.