List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1302304

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, WEST END

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireEast CambridgeshireDistrict AuthorityWilburton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 05-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 49518

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WILBURTON WEST END TL 4774; TL 4775 (North Side)

22/50; 18/50 Church of St Peter 5.2.52 GV I

Parish church. C13 remains in chancel arch, tower and tower arch. Mainly late C14-early C15. Rubble and fieldstone with clunch and limestone dressings. West tower with spire, aisleless nave, south porch and chancel. West tower of four stages with embattled parapet and leaded spire. Four stage angle buttressing and half octagonal newel stair turret in south-east corner. Rear doorway has two centred arch of clunch and limestone with wave moulding and label with mask stops. C15 west window, restored. Three cinquefoil lights in two centred arch. Bell stage has, in each side, two, two-centred openings in a two centred arch. South porch, C15, has a parvise room above. Blocked parapet with main cornice. Two storeys. Parvise room has a window of two cinquefoil lights in square head with moulded label and return stops. There is a niche with cinquefoil drop cusping in a two centred arch with square label and carved stops. The outer arch of the porch is two centred and of two wave moulded orders. The inner arch is similar. The nave has a rebuilt parapet but an original main cornice with beast gargoyles. Restored south wall windows in Ketton limestone have three cinquefoil lights with vertical tracery in two centred arch. Chancel has three similar windows of C15 in the south wall as those in the nave. Parapet also with beast gargoyles. The east window is restord and of five cinquefoil lights. Interior: Tower arch, C13. Two centred and of two wave moulded orders, the inner on keeled shaft with moulded capital and base. The aisleless nave has blank wall arcading in four bays. The two centred arches are carried on lozenge shaped piers. There are original stone seats below the arcading. The roof is also late C14-early C15. Four bays and of arched tie beam construction with jackposts on corbels enriched with carved wood demi-angels. The main beams, intermediate principals and spandrel braces are all moulded and carved with the arms and emblems of Bishop Alcock. At the intersection there are shields of arms. The north transept chapel was added in 1868. The chancel arch is C13. Two centred and of two hollow and roll moulded orders on grouped shafts with ring moulded capitals and moulded bases. The chancel has similar wall arcading as the nave. The roof too is C14-C15 and of three bays. Tie beams on jackposts with embattled corbels, moulded purlins, intermediate principals and tie beams. Four centred arch to vestry doorway in north wall. Original plank door with wood frame and cover strips. Flanking the altar two C15 niches with vaulted canopies in two centred arches with square embattled heads and heraldry to the spandrels. Early C18 communion rail of twisted balusters. Reset early C17 panelling at west end of nave with frieze from Stretham Church. Wall painting on north wall. Brasses: Richard Bole, Archdeacon of Ely (d.1477); John H 11, (d.1506), wife and children; Will Byron (d.1516), wife and children. The C14-C15 work is believed to have been carried out under the patronage of Bishops Alcock.

Pevsner: Buildings of England, p485

Listing NGR: TL4797875000

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 485

National Grid Reference: TL 47978 75000

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 02:32:31.