List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1302289

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HampshireTest ValleyDistrict AuthorityBarton Stacey

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-Dec-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 139550

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 44 SW BARTON STACEY MAIN STREET (West Side)

4/83 Church of All Saints

II*

Parish church. C12, C13, C15, C16, and restoration of 1877. Originally a Norman 2-cell church, given north and south aisles circa 1180, with 2 arches supported by round pillars, which remain. Extensions eastward in the C13 continued the arcade, with 2 octagonal columns on each side, ending in a short chancel. The eastern unit of the arcade opens onto transepts, with arches separating them from the aisles, supporting another (or chancel) arch across the nave. Tiled roof. Flint walls with stone dressings; lancets and Perpendicular windows, some corner buttresses. The chief feature is a western tower of circa 1610 (set into the end of the nave) of Perpendicular style, with castellated parapet, octagonal stair turret incorporated within one of 2 massive diagonal buttresses. South porch of the last period. Within, there are several wall monuments of the early C19, and floor slabs of the late C18, a Purbeck font of the 2nd period, having a square bowl, with arcaded sides, resting on a central drum and 4 columns, medieval encaustic tiles in the sanctuary, a C17 altar table with carved (Flemish) figures, and Prescription boards (in the tower).

Listing NGR: SU4351641215

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 43488 41145

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2014 at 06:49:58.