List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD FARM HOUSE PUBLIC HOUSE

List entry Number: 1302207

Location

THE OLD FARM HOUSE PUBLIC HOUSE, MOUNT PLEASANT ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
City of SouthamptonUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Jul-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 135859

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. MOUNT PLEASANT ROAD 5239 The Old Farm House Public House SU 4212 2/167 14.7.53

II*

2. Dated 1611 E. R. in brickwork but core probably earlier. There was a grange of St Denys Priory on the site in the Middle Ages. The Southampton map of 1560 shows a farmhouse on the site. There is said to be a tunnel connecting this building with Bitterne Manor. Two storeys red brick on a stone base which is probably part of an earlier building. Moulded carved corbelled brick stringcourse at first floor level in central portion of front. Irregular elevation with 2 gables. Timber-framing to upper part. Two large restored chimney stacks, with diamond-shaped shafts in groups. Modern tiled roof. Modern windows. Original oak panelled iron studded door with later brick porch. The first floor rooms have exposed windbraces and the roof is of queen post construction. Parlour with early C16 stone fireplace with 4 centred arch and panelling and fine carved over mantel of circa 1611.

Listing NGR: SU4255313582

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 42806 12986

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 10:43:40.