List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1302198

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HampshireNew ForestDistrict AuthoritySopley

National Park: NEW FOREST

Grade: I

Date first listed: 24-Sep-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 143786

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SZ 19 NE SOPLEY THORNEY HILL

11/1 Church of All Saints

24.9.85

GV 1

Church. 1906 by Detmar Blow for Lord Manners of Avon Tyrell. Caen stone and rendered brick, aluminium roof. Remarkable Edwardian Baroque church, on north south axis, 3 bay with projecting centre bays on both sides, apse and west end with separate roofs, and west cupola, symmetrical about axis. East side has moulded plinth, in end bays rectangular leaded 24-pane window in stone architrave with hood and corbels. Over moulded timber modillioned cornice. In centre stone door, of architrave with panelled pilasters supporting console brackets surmounted by pediment. Above large round window in architrave with head of putto and wings. Over large semi-circular gable with cornice carried round, supported on each side of bay by pairs of modillioned cornice. Roof hipped with flat-top, and cupola vent at east. East end has blind windows in architraves either side of apse, which has similar at end and small oval frames on sides. Cornice carried round and half-conical roof running into main roof. At west, centre projection similar to centre side bay with small roof surmounted by octagonal timber cupola with ogee roof and weathervane. Inside apse has wall paintings of 1922 by P A Traquair of the Te Deum using local people as characters. Cornice and half- vault. Nave has 2 arcades of 4 Tuscan giant columns, with east 2 bays narrower, supporting groin-vault with panels between columns. West bay has timber screens with doors across aisles and gallery over nave with curtains below. 3 inscribed tablets relating to the First World War by E Gill and large monument 1917 to John Manners by Sir B Mackennal.

Listing NGR: SZ1673798427

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SZ 19700 99724

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Sep-2014 at 03:15:13.