List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1301290

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, JUDDS HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HampshireNew ForestDistrict AuthorityBramshaw

National Park: NEW FOREST

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 08-Oct-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 144303

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 21 NE BRAMSHAW JUDDS HILL

2/4 Church of St Peter 8.10.59 GV II*

Parish church. Mid C13, only west nave survives, transepts and south transept tower 1828 by J Peniston, chancel rebuilt and vestry late C19. Rubble ironstone and flint, stone dressings, brick additions, some flint bands, old plain tile roof, weatherboarded top stage to tower. Plan of C13 chancel and nave, chancel rebuilt with north vestry C19, small north transept and large south transept with tower at south end. Chancel east window is triple lancet. On sides single lancets. North transept has late C19 3 lancet window. Large south transept has pointed timber windows. South tower has pointed east door, now entrance, and square weatherboarded belfry with louvred openings on each face and hipped roof. Nave has C19 light east of north transept, to west external timber staircase to C19 gallery door. On south blocked C13 door with heavy roll-mouldings carried down as shafts. To west C16 2-light window. West wall, much repaired, has C13 stepped triple lancet window with C19 trefoil over. Inside chancel all C19 except north-west door of late C13. Decorated style chancel arch. Plain chamfered arch to north transept. Nave opens into south transept which has bow-fronted gallery, reached from staircase in tower. Nave has bow-fronted west gallery dated 1828. Behind west window is moulded rere-arch under label with heads at springing. C15 roof with moulded wallplate and cambered tiebeams. Font old but recut. Tower has C13 treble bell, long and tapered, and has a square lip.

Listing NGR: SP2697314926

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 26479 16647

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 08:57:10.