List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1300482

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WiltshireUnitary AuthorityAllington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 18-Feb-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 319899

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ALLINGTON - SU 23 NW 4/1 Church of St John the Baptist 18.2.58 II

Anglican parish church, 1848-51, architect unrecorded but possibly T.H. Wyatt, on C12 foundations. Flint interspersed with limestone and limestone dressings. Tiled roof. Nave and chancel, and south porch raised as tower. Nave has north and south doors, the north door with sections of late C12 lozenge, bead and chevron arch. Three and two light square headed trefoiled windows. Chancel has 2 reset narrow late C12-early C13 lancets and 3-light east window, the hood mould on large mask terminals. Short tower over porch, 2 stages with angle buttresses, 2-light bell openings and a crenellated parapet with gargoyle spouts. Pyramidal tiled roof. Interior: Nave rendered and colourwashed. C19 wagon roof. Narrow chancel opening with arch of 2 orders on medieval bead cavetto string around imposts. Chancel of 2 bays, the walls stencilled in 1876 in memory of Fulmer William Fowle. Encaustic tiles. Shallow single sedilia with painted curtaining, and piscina with bowl on attached half shaft. East window contains a glazed Crucifixion of 1876. Fittings: Font, limestone C19 in C12 manner. Pyramidal pierced font cover of C17. Pulpit of oak, C19. Pews, two C16-C17 slab ended, and others built to match. Monuments: Simple marble tablet by Osmund of Sarum, to Mary Tarrant, died 1883. Detached painted metal creed board. Furniture: In porch, a C16-C17 small oak churchwardens coffer on legs, with 3 iron locks, and a C17 stool. Thomas Fowle, vicar 1793-7 was engaged to Cassandra Austin, sister of Jane Austin, who is recorded as having attended church at Allington. (Churches of the Upper Bourne Valley, 1985).

Listing NGR: SU2042039383

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Title: Churches of the Upper Bourne Valley - Date: 1985

National Grid Reference: SU 20420 39383

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Oct-2014 at 07:27:13.