List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW

List entry Number: 1300120

Location

CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW, WAKEFIELD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CalderdaleMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-Dec-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 338930

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRIGHOUSE WAKEFIELD ROAD, LIGHTCLIFFE SE 12 NW (south side) 1/193 Church of St. Matthew

G.V. II

Church. 1874 by W. Swindon Barber for Major Foster. Hammer-dressed stone, ashlar dressings, slate roof. Gothic Revival. Nave, chancel with lateral chapel, north-west tower, low side aisles, baptistry and vestry. Tower of 4 stages with diagonal buttresses to the east with much batter. Tall octagonal clasping turret to the north rises a full stage higher. North doorway with 2-centred arch in base of tower over which is carved statue of patron saint in niche which has clock in 3rd stage. Tall 4-light belfry with decorative hoodmould. Embattled parapet. Angle buttresses to west embrace gabled west end of nave which has impressive window with panelled tracery with hoodmould forming ogee. Angle buttress is surmounted by crocketed pinnacle. 4 bay nave, divisions marked by offset buttresses. Embattled parapet, square headed clerestorey windows 4-centred arched aisle windows both with panel tracery. Embattled gable between nave and chancel which is under lower roof with 2 tall arched windows in the flank walls and large east window with panel tracery of late C14 style. Diagonal offset buttresses and embattled gable. Baptistry is gabled and runs out of 1st bay of south nave aisle with coped gable, angle buttresses and arch-headed window. Vestry breaks out of 1st bay of chancel is similarly treated.

Interior: Octagonal columns with moulded capitals to nave arcade. Coupled colonnettes to tall pointed chancel arch. Heavily timbered 10 bay arch-braced roof with alternate ogee to arch, brattished collar supports short king post with fretted roundels to either side. Carved reredos of Caen stone, with scene of Last Supper (by J. Birnie Philip) flanked by inscribed tablets with the Creed, the Law and Lords Prayer, carved stone piscina and sedila. Small oak screen to chapel with monuments to Major Foster's family, marble altar of classical design.

Furnishings: Fine brass lectern with Gothic base, and altar rails. Richly carved choir-stalls in Perpendicular style. Elaborate carved octagonal font with tall font cover by James Clinsty (Huddersfield). Similarly carved Caen stone pulpit. Coved screen to west end commemorates 1st World War victims. Small Royal Arms from Lightcliffe Old Church of Queen Victoria c.1840 incorporate Escutcheon of Saxony, (an unusual if not unique feature).

Listing NGR: SE1366425418

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 13664 25418

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 12:01:13.