List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH

List entry Number: 1299775

Location

CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityFarnborough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 305593

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FARNBOROUGH CHURCH LANE SP4349 16/18 Church of St. Botolph 30/05/67

GV II*

Church. C12 origins; chancel, nave, porch and lower part of tower mainly C14; upper part of second stage of tower 1611. Restored 1858. North aisle, bell chamber and roof, nave roof, spire and restoration by G.G. Scott 1875. Both restorations were carried out for the Reverend C.W. Holbech. Squared coursed ironstone. Stone slate roofs have C19 moulded coped gable parapets with decorated cross finials. Nave, chancel, north aisle, west tower and south porch. Decorated style, with reticulated tracery and hood moulds with carved stops. 4-bay nave, 2-bay chancel. Chancel, tower, aisle and porch have diagonal and north and south buttresses of c,1875. Splayed cornice. Chancel has much restored C14 three-light east and C19 two-light north-east and south-east windows. South side has blocked chamfered ogee doorway. C14 straight-headed 2-light north-west and south-west windows. Small blocked low side window below south-west window. South wall has wall monument of 1638, with depressed round arch and simple Ionic pilasters, decorated tympanum and moulded panel. Inscriptions to the Brocke family. Porch has arch of 2 moulded orders. Wrought-iron Gothic gates of c.1875. Small straight-headed cusped 2-light windows. Inside is straight-headed plank door with C19 Romanesque style ironwork. C12 Romanesque doorway has unusual moulding of alternating large and small edge-rolls; C19 zigzag arch, but C12 fish-scale tympanum. Nave south wall partly rebuilt, with re-sited C12 corbels. C19 moulded cornice and parapet to nave and aisle. Restored C13 eastern lancet. C14/C15 straight-headed 3-light window. Western window similar to chancel western windows. 4-bay C14 style aisle has buttresses with 2 offsets. Sill course. Cornice with foliage bosses and masks. 3-light east window has cusped intersecting tracery. 2-light north and 3-light west windows. Hood moulds have alternating foliage and head stops. Tower of 3 stages has buttresses with 2 offsets. Splayed string coursed. Renewed Tudor arch west door. 2-light window above. Second stage has datestone, with single small chamfered light above. North and south sides have similar 2-light windows. Third stage has large moulded 2-light traceried openings. Moulded cornice and parapet. Gargoyles. Recessed broach spire has lucarnes, finial and weather cock. Stair turret in north-west angle. Door with chamfered shouldered head. Interior: chancel has re-cut piscina below south-east window. Aumbry in east wall. Windows have rere arches. C19 panelled wood barrel vault. Transitional style chancel arch has re-used C12 lozenge chain moulding. Nave has arched braced king-post roof with moulded wall pieces, braces and tie-beams, and stone corbels. Moulded tower arch dying into imposts, with outer segmental pointed arch. C14 style arcade has octagonal pillars with moulded bases and capitals and 2 moulded orders. Re-used C16 Perpendicular nave roof with simply moulded timbers. Fittings: font has C19 octagonal bowl and stem, and C14 base-mould and stop. Carved oak pulpit, altar rails, chancel stalls, pews and tower screen of c.1875. Stained glass: east window 1856 by Wailes. South-east window 1850. Other C19 glass. Monuments: head of an early C13 effigy. Wall monuments: chancel south: William Holbech 1717; Georgius Lamprey, Vicar, 1724. Nave south: Jeremiah and Elizabeth Hall 1711; cartouche with an open book. Joane Hall I650 Dorothy Ralegh 1692; Mary Wagstaffe 1667; brass set in moulded and decorated inner and outer frames with moulded cornice, and leaf bands; long inscription. The work of 1875 cost £4,700. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire: V.C.H. Vol.5, pp.86-87. Buildings of England: Warwickshire: pp. 291-292. Linda Murray: St. Botolph, Farnborough: a brief history).

Listing NGR: SP4338049572

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1949), 86-87
Murray, L, St Botolph Farnborough A Brief History
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966)

National Grid Reference: SP 43380 49572

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 07:18:17.