List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PRIORY FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1299578

Location

PRIORY FARMHOUSE, ALCESTER ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityStudley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Oct-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 305540

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STUDLEY ALCESTER ROAD SP06SE (East side) Priory Square 4/184 Priory Farmhouse 01/02/67 (Formerly listed as The Priory Farmhouse, Alcester Road)

- II*

Farmhouse. Early C14 origins; built as part of Studley Priory. Largely altered or rebuilt early/mid C16, with stack dated 1539, for Sir Edmund Knightly. Largely refaced and altered mid C19. Mostly faced in red brick, with some coursed lias, and small amount of exposed timber framing. Old tile roof; regular coursed lias and brick external stack, and brick external and ridge stacks. L-plan, with wing to rear. 2 storeys; 3-window range. Rendered parch has moulded gable parapet with kneelers. 4-centred doorway with flood mould and 4-panelled door with overlight. Sides have lancets with hood moulds and head stops. Blocked doorway to left. C19 metal casements with glazing bars. Brick segmental a robes to ground floor. Irregular lias quoins on right. Medieval carved head in wall above porch. Moulded wall plate, possibly C16, on right. Left return side has remains of a large early C14 stone window with fragments of tracery, partly obscured by massive dated lias and brick stack with medieval carved head. Three C17 (VCH) square shafts of thin bricks with V-pilasters. Ground floor has two C14 stone panels of paired blind quatrefoils. 2-window range, Mid C19, straight-headed casements with Gothic glazing and rendered hood moulds, Right return side has small amount of exposed framing, and some imitation ashlar render. C19 single storey castellated brick addition. Gables with mid C19 fretted bargeboards Rear wing has some exposed framing to gable. Hid C19 external stack with 2 moulded square shafts. Interior inspection not possible, but VCH lists following interior features: Ground floor room has chamfered cross beams and canted boss, possibly re-set, with IHS. Upper floor and partitions inserted C16, Some early Tudor framing and square-panelled ceiling inserted below roof. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire. Vol.III, p.175; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p. 423).

Listing NGR: SP0730563994

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1945), 175
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 423

National Grid Reference: SP 07305 63994

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2014 at 10:18:48.