List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1299365

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, TAMWORTH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireNorth WarwickshireDistrict AuthorityCorley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 08-Sep-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 308912

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CORLEY TAMWORTH ROAD SP3085 (South side) 20/8 Church of St. Mary 08/09/61 GV II* Parish church. Early and late C12 nave. Early C13 chancel. North aisle rebuilt C14-C15. Restoration of 1893. Coursed sandstone rubble squared and irregular coursed sandstone. Plain-tiled roof with 1893 louvred bell turret with a hipped roof, plain-tiled. Plan of nave with north aisle and chancel. Nave: early C12. West wall and part of south wall restored. West wall has round window above 3 coupled round headed window of 1893. 2 windows to south wall, west end are similar and of 1893. 2 other windows are early C12, restored. The south doorway is C12. Round headed arch of one hollow and one roll moulding on engaged shafts with moulded bases and spiral volutes to the capitals. The chancel is c.1300. North and south walls each have 2 windows of 2 lights with Y-tracery. At the north-east and south-east angles of the chancel are angle buttresses of 2 stages with gables. North aisle rebuilt C14-C15. 2-light, cinquefoil windows in 4-centred arches. Interior: Aisleless early C12 nave with rere arches of windows having a roll moulding. North arcade, late C12. 2 bays. Round headed arches, unmoulded, on piers with round capitals decorated by scallops with various leaf and other enrichments. The large head carved on the easternmost respond is later. C19 roof, boarded. Chancel arch, early C12. Round headed arch of 2 unmoulded orders, the inner on respond with square capital having splayed lower edge. Piscina with trefoil cusping to the head. Font: Stone, circular on stem. The bowl inscribed with initials and the date 1661. Wall monument in north aisle, early C18. Black marble with white marble open pediment with shield of arms above tablet, also of white marble.

Listing NGR: SP3012085113

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 30120 85113

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2014 at 11:19:39.