List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TOWER AND SPIRE, CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1299161

Location

TOWER AND SPIRE, CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireForest of DeanDistrict AuthorityWestbury-on-Severn

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 04-Jul-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 354297

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 71 SW WESTBURY-ON-SEVERN WESTBURY VILLAGE

11/216 Tower and spire, Church of St. Peter and St. Paul

GV 1

Detached Church tower and spire: late C13 tower, C14 spire; thin grey rubble walls with larger red-brown quoins: shingled spire. Square. Battered plinth with roll moulding to north face; square-set corner buttresses on left, octagonal stair turret on right with pilasters to north and west faces. 2-light geometric tracery window to upper level, with circular clock face above: lancet to stair turret to right. Slight eaves to broached octagonal spire: 2-light, square openings with timber louvres at low level, lean-to roofs. Ball finial and weathercock. East face has no plinth; square-set corner buttresses; chamfered, 2-centred arched opening to double boarded doors. Above 2 creasings for roof to demolished chapel: lancet window between with further lancet above with 2 stone louvres. Internally heavy timber beams carry floor over. Detached from church, (q.v.). Medieval chapel to east of spire re-roofed 1779, used as school 1710-1849, demolished 1862. Spire repaired with timber from casks in 1680. (Victoria County History, Gloucestershire, Vol. X, 1972; D. Verey, Gloucestershire, The Vale and the Forest of Dean, 1970).

Listing NGR: SO7171313920

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Verey, D - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean - Date: 1970
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester - Date: 1972 - Volume: 10

National Grid Reference: SO 71714 13918

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Jul-2014 at 05:37:00.