List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1298923

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, THE BROADWAY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SurreySpelthorneDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 11-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 363209

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

THE BROADWAY 1. 5590 Laleham Church of All Saints TQ 0568 11/24 11.8.52 GV 2. The Norman church largely re-modelled in C17 and more recently. The church consists of a west tower, 3 bay nave, chancel and modern south porch. The tower is red brick, Flemish bond, about 1780, with corner piers (channelled rustication and moulded stone caps one brick dated BE 1732); arched belfry windows, oculi to ringing chamber; clock to west above a Venetian window (repaired 1932); pointed doorway below. The nave walls are restored: brick with stone dressings to Decorated style windows; south-west corner has English bond buttress; gable end of nave English bond too. Chancel south wall restored and a stepped east window inserted. North wall has circa 1600 brickwork with black diapers. Tudor arch doorway and flat-headed 3-light brick mullion windows (with arched heads). Interior: interesting: 3 bay pointed arcade, mid-C12 on scallop capitals, squat polished stone piers; plaster removed from 2 arches to reveal brick work below, centre one has billet hood mould; arcade which has been shortened in C16 divides nave and north aisle and is built into south wall. C16 brick chancel arch, also pointed. Roofs repaired, aisle appears to have a mediaeval tie-beam roof with windbraces and arch-braced collars. South door has key stones of reused C12 sculptured material. The chancel and north chapel separated by slender oak columns. A number of memorials particularly in south wall of chancel (George Parrott, died 1780 by William Tyler; Henrietta Hertwell, died 1818, by Chantry; and some C19 Bingham tablets. North aisle wall has a memorial tablet to Thomas Arnold (his son Matthew is buried in the churchyard) C19 font in Norman style). Further Bingham vault in churchyard. Also a number of food headstones, 4 chest tombs close to north aisle wall and a double body-tomb John and Sarah Chandler, died 1821 and 1802).

Listing NGR: TQ0512868877

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 05129 68878

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2014 at 10:42:39.