List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1298875

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
West SussexCrawleyDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Jun-1948

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 363346

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HIGH STREET 1. 5403 (east side) Parish Church of St John the Baptist TQ 2636 NE 5/23 21.6.48 II* 2. C15 and C19. Formerly a Chapel of Ease for the parish of Slaugham. Built of Sussex limestone. Horsham slab roofs except for the chancel which is tiled. South wall of the nave, the nave roof and some carvings are C15. The west tower is of 1807 but using old materials and the north aisle was added, north porch added, north vestry and organ chamber added chancel rebuilt and general restoration undertaken by Woodyer in 1879-80. The west tower of 3 stages has 3 late medieval carved figures under canopies. C15 or early C16 nave roof with tie-beams, collars with curved braces and "Man you wele bewar, for worldly good makyth man mynde. Bewar be for for whate comyth be hynde." Set in the north wall of the chancel is a C14 carved stone with 3 cusped canopies, probably part of a stone reredos. C15 doorway on south side of chancel arch that gave access to roof loft stair. C13 font of marble with octagonal bowl supported on central drum and 4 surrounding shafts. Early C17 oak pulpit, re-set on modern stone base. Early C18 altar rails. Brass inscription to William Blast d.1438) and brass of a woman early C16. (See V C H Sussex vii P 146). The churchyard has 2 good C18 limestone headstones with cherubs, flowers, snakes and heavenly trumpet motifs.

Listing NGR: TQ2686836540

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Saltzman, L F - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Sussex - Date: 1940 - Volume: 7 - Page References: 146

National Grid Reference: TQ 26868 36540

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jul-2014 at 06:39:55.