List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF SAINT BARTHOLOMEW

List entry Number: 1298821

Location

CHURCH OF SAINT BARTHOLOMEW, GREAT BARROW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Cheshire West and ChesterUnitary AuthorityBarrow

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jun-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 55450

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 46 NE BARROW C P THE VILLAGE Great Barrow

4/4 Church of St.Bartholomew

1/6/1967 GV II*

Church: some late Medieval work in north aisle, chancel dated 1671 for Dean Bridgeman, tower dated 1744 and remainder dated 1883 by John Douglas. Ashlar red sandstone, red tile roof. 4-bay nave and north aisle, south porch, 3-bay chancel and a 4-stage tower. Nave has 2 and 4-light rectangular windows, with 2 levels of round-headed lights, under label mounds. Gabled porch has a 4-centred arched entrance with cusped ogee headed light above. Romanesque style doorway behind. Chancel has a single and triple round-headed window and a blocked, moulded 4-centred arched priest's doorway with a plaque above reading "THIS CHANCEL WAS BUILT BY D HENRY BRIDGEMAN LORD BISHOP OF MAN DEAN OF CHESTER AND RECTOR OF BARROW 1671". Pointed arched, 4-light transomed east window. Classical style tower has bands at each stage and semi-circular heads to surrounds with raised quoining, of the west door, mullioned west window, and louvred bell openings. There is a clock in the third stage and a moulded cornice carries a ramped parapet, formerly with large gadrooned urn finials now collected at the base of the tower. 2 good lead rainheads to the rear dated 1744 and on the south side a large circular light with raised keyblocks. Interior: 4-bay arcade of depressed 4-centred arches on octagonal piers. Chancel has a hammer beam truss with the Bridgeman arms on the bosses. Boards record restoration of the chancel roof in 1807 by Hugh Cholmondely and rebuilding of 1883. East window and east window of the north aisle by Kempe. Octagonal font on octagonal shaft has lead bowl dated 1713.

Listing NGR: SJ4695268338

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 46952 68338

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2014 at 08:57:46.